[TR] Colchuck/Balance Rock- W. Face 7/14/2005

tyree

Climb: Colchuck/Balance Rock-W. Face

Date of Climb: 7/14/2005

Trip Report:

Frosty the Tradman and I headed up to Colchuck lake after a day of cragging in 11worth. The temps were perfect and the hike very enjoyable. We camped at the lake and left camp around 5:00 am.

After the approach gully, we took our time getting on route around 7:30.

2465IMG_0518-med.JPG

I led the 1st pitch. The first part was moving through easy ledges to the "5.10+" pitch. I found this to be straight forward thin hands. Frosty then took the next lead linking pitches 2 and most of 3. Fun climbing.

This left me to lead the remainder of three and the super long 5.11 corner.2465IMG_0522-med.JPG

In retrospect we should have bumped the belay up to the base of the corner because the rope drag proved to be a beast. About 150 ft up I took a fall because i just couldnt commit to the clip with the hard moves coupled with the weight of the rope. The last 20 ft were soaked with green slime that forced me to hang dog through. This pitch was excellent aside from the slime and rope drag. The moves were not hard (5.10+) but very sustained for the entire 190ft.

It was now Frosty's turn to lead out the roof. After climbing a fixed sling ladder the route went left in a crack at the base where the roof meets the wall. This part was soaked as well and forced Frosty to hang through. The moves were not that difficult but the crucial foot holds were very wet. Pulling the corner around the end of the roof was incredible!2465IMG_0525-med.JPG

2465IMG_0526-med.JPG

Here is a view of Stewart from the belay under the roof.

The next pitch was awsome. Becky gives it 5.10 but its more like 5.9+ with awsome exposure. 2465IMG_0529-med.JPG

The aid through the roof was easy due to a fixed nut at the lip.

The last hard climbing was Frosty's lead through the "5.8" chimney. This has to be some hardman's idea of a sick joke.

The 1st part is a bombay chimney that is just fucking hard. It eases up into another, what I would call, 5.8 chimney with some exposed moves at the end. The last pitch was an easy scramble to the top. This has to be the easiest decent in the cascades. One rap to ledges that take you down to scree slopes that wind around the west flank back to our packs.

From here it was back to te lake and a 3:30am start to the S. face of Prussic. That is a tale for another time.

Gear Notes:

doubles to 3.5

alpine aiders would have been nice for the 2nd on the roofs.

Approach Notes:

CHILL

Edited by tyree

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya know, I wonder if the 5.8 chimney used to have more blocks in it, but were later cleaned out...making it harder.

either way that exposure is fukin tweaking! mushsmile.gif

also, the 5.11 money pitch is (from what I've heard) always wet at the finish. the roof traverse will dry out....give it some more time.

Tyree,

Question:

Is there any signs of new rockfall from the nw face area?

ya know, I wonder if the 5.8 chimney used to have more blocks in it, but were later cleaned out...making it harder.

either way that exposure is fukin tweaking! mushsmile.gif

also, the 5.11 money pitch is (from what I've heard) always wet at the finish. the roof traverse will dry out....give it some more time.

Tyree,

Question:

here's a pic of skyclimb from just inside the 1st chimney. my camera cord got in the way.

136colchuckbalancedrock02.jpg

Tyree,

Question:

I didint notice any "new rock fall" on the NW face. There is that HUGE scar climbers left of the route but it looks pretty old. For what its worth there is a new scar on DT left of Backbone, its pretty big.

Edited by tyree

• 2 weeks later...

Colin and I climbed this route last sunday. The spring was still dripping enough to moisten the top 25 feet of the big corner but I'm not surprised it is now dry. We did not free or even pretend to be freeing the hardest bits of the route, but two guys behind us appeared to be giving it a good go. I don't know if they actually got it clean but it did look from above like the guy nailed the 5.12 section.

A word on the last pitch: the chimney itself is not harder than 5.8 in my opinion, but definitely agree that the entrance moves into it seem far harder- very awkward, in any case. Feels more like hard 5.10. At least pro is bomber.

Overall, awesome route and position.