[TR] Mt. Rainier- DC 7/14/2005

graywolf

Climb: Mt. Rainier-DC

Date of Climb: 7/14/2005

Got my daughter and a friend up the DC route yesterday morning. Some of the best weather I've ever had on Rainier. But the coolest thing of the entire trip was that there was a 7 year old who summitted! This kid was amazing! Great attitude, stamina and technique. And no, he wasn't with a guided party, he was with his parents. I'll remember this for the rest of my life. I grin every time I think about it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice and ironic timing!

The irony is that this Sunday the record for oldest climber to summit was reset at age 82 (topping his record last year at 81). He climbed the Emmons. I am forgetting his name now sadly, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

The best part is that he and his son completely kicked our asses, flat out. The young and the old, gettin it done in style! Just goes to show that age is relative and you can learn from anyone if your mind is open...

Side note: how many people summited on Sunday? The ranger at Schurman said 72 via Emmons alone! Talk about a crowded sidewalk to the summit. Looking at the headlamps up and down the mountain from our rope was pretty surreal. I'm glad no accidents occured due to the crowding. It looked like an epic disaster waiting to happen. Luckily, the mountain was kind to us--as far as I know.

Nice and ironic timing!

The irony is that this Sunday the record for oldest climber to summit was reset at age 82 (topping his record last year at 81). He climbed the Emmons. I am forgetting his name now sadly, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

The best part is that he and his son completely kicked our asses, flat out. The young and the old, gettin it done in style! Just goes to show that age is relative and you can learn from anyone if your mind is open...

Side note: how many people summited on Sunday? The ranger at Schurman said 72 via Emmons alone! Talk about a crowded sidewalk to the summit. Looking at the headlamps up and down the mountain from our rope was pretty surreal. I'm glad no accidents occured due to the crowding. It looked like an epic disaster waiting to happen. Luckily, the mountain was kind to us--as far as I know.

Yeah, those two came down the 'schrund right behind us. They were doing a great job.

Side note: how many people summited on Sunday? The ranger at Schurman said 72 via Emmons alone!

Where do the rangers get the stats? From when you return your permit (another guy in our party did that)? I almost never sign summit registers. I usually just chill and enjoy the views. We had 3/4 summit (one guy stayed at Schurman - he caught a flu bug).

yes, when you check out where you registered to climb. I think they should do something to limit the number of climbers on a summit route per day.

they try to. They limit the number of people who can stay at each base camp (Schurman/Emmons flats, Camp Curtis, and the Inter Glacier). The limits are just fairly high.

Amazing I believe that is the youngest. I read that a 7 or 8 year old girl was the youngest recorded.

Think that record is toast now. I asked Gator at the FF book signing about this and I think he said the record was like 4 or something. Gator did say they did it over many days though.

-kurt

Amazing I believe that is the youngest. I read that a 7 or 8 year old girl was the youngest recorded.

Think that record is toast now. I asked Gator at the FF book signing about this and I think he said the record was like 4 or something. Gator did say they did it over many days though.

Wow what next? A kid crawling up before it is able to walk?I crawl but thats because I get tired cry.gif

-kurt