Climbing Rope Rugs

icemancometh

Awhile back I think that I saw a company that makes rugs out of old climbing ropes. Does anyone know the company? Even better, does anyone know how (have directions on) how to weave one?

--> Thanks for the help. There were several books that I found at the B&N bookstore that had directions to weave several differnt types of "mats". I made one out of a 9mil in under an hour. I looks so damn nice I don't know if I want to walk on it though!

[This message has been edited by icemancometh (edited 05-04-2001).]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a copy of directions on making the rugs from ropes. It is pretty easy to do, if you have the time.

The original rope-rugs came from sailors retiring old lines and/or making pads to preserve woodwork under tackle. If you spend some time at the library or at a sailing shop looking through books on knots and ropecraft you will probably be able to find instructions.

Looking through Barnes and Noble, I found this book. Though I haven't actually looked at it, the description claims to have instructions on making rope mats and plaits.

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=0BQOVVSR01&mscssid=BPDJMP5FTMKQ8NJ0CG8190EF4TG06E6D&isbn=1566197716

Greg

[This message has been edited by Gerg (edited 05-01-2001).]

I made my first rug without any directions about 8 years ago recovering from surgery. It actually came out half way decent. Although my son remarked that I must of had good pain killers to allow me to sit that long and do the weaving thing to make a rug, and I did! smile.gif