Crevase rescue gear for 2

Divot

OK, quik question regarding what gear, appart from your rope do you carry on a 2 person climb, how you distribute it evenly, and more........

Just simple enough, we all have to admit to setting our rigs on the living room floor, or the yard and workin it to perfection when nobody is lookin'.....So tell us.

My system starts with an 8.5 50m rope with 10 coils off of each end in a kiwi coil, followed by a pulley/locking oval/short prussik/and my leg stirups made out of 5mm spectra cord, all attached as part of the system.

I use the attached leg stirups with loops on the ends as my anchor attachment points once Im in self arrest, which also serve as my ascending leg stirups as mentioned.

Since its a 2 person team, I like to have my gear ready so all I have to do is place my anchor and attach the rest, which then sets me up for my 6:1 system.

The pulley,biner,prussik,and stirups are in my pocket on the ready for action.

Its a really nice way to get your stuff set when the sh*t hits the fan and you find yourself in a bad spot.

Photos will follow, let me know what ya think.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess no one is gonna take this seriously....no problem, I already have all the material for my book someday, however, this is a serious climbing forum, and i know there are serious climbers here like myself.

I do rescue work for a living, and have to remain on top of things, but like to share, and learn from others 'cause Im not stuck up or sucked into my job so much that I forget who I was before.....

There are a few dedicated to glacier travel and crevasse rescue out there. The ones publish by Falcon and the Mountaineers are the most common. There are other books dealing with rescue systems in geat detail.

So what will make your book a compelling buy? Or is it an online book you're writing?

There is less information on 2-person teams and basically no information on solo glacier and self-rescue. That could be an angle.

drC

about those pulleys -- i think it'd be wise to point out that many don't carry them as they only have one use, light and fast mentality tries to utilize multiple use items, and biners can substitute just fine. of course the pulley can be there to get you out of a pinch with heavier people + packs, high friction situations, or a drop-C (which could be done without one as well), and could make the difference in certain situations, especially the more difficult 1 rescuer scenarios.

regardless of any argument over the decision to not bring pulleys, there are many well experienced climbers who will not bring pulleys into the mountains, including guides on personal trips.

also, a fluke can be an easier first piece to get in and transfer the load to, then get an equalized back up when you can move around.

....fwiw

I don't think that I have any special stuff to post. One thing that is important to remember on 2-ropes. When the other guy goes in you already have two prussicks (your texas set) hooked up. This really helps in the initial stages of escaping the rope and setting up the anchor.

Hope your book works out

Common alternatives to pulleys:

- A biner (double use: biner, high friction pulley)

- Tibloc and its accompanying locking HMS (triple use: locking biner, high friction ratcheting pulley, ascender; fourth use if you consider putting it on your rope during glacier travel is different than "ascender" which it really isn't)

Any other good multiple uses gear?

drC

I dont like alternatives, cause of the high friction....

How many of you have ever lifted someone using biners as pulleys....? Its a bitch isnt it?

If you every have:

1) You wished you did used pulleys cause your exhausted, and cursed yourself for not carryng 2 xtra ounces.

2) Your climb may be ended due to your partners exposure to the elements while you were working your heart off trying to lift him.

3) Do you want that?.....Is it worth it...?

I dont like alternatives, cause of the high friction....

How many of you have ever lifted someone using biners as pulleys....? Its a bitch isnt it?

If you every have:

1) You wished you did used pulleys cause your exhausted, and cursed yourself for not carryng 2 xtra ounces.

2) Your climb may be ended due to your partners exposure to the elements while you were working your heart off trying to lift him.

3) Do you want that?.....Is it worth it...?

I've tried this. Before I went to Denali we did a bunch of crevasse rescue practice on a small cliff. Trying to lift the dead weight of your partner and a sizable pack (no sled) is no joke. This didn't even take into account the additional friction caused by the rope knifing into the edge of the crevasse etc.

For travel on large glaciers as a part of two you definitely want two pullies.

There is less information on 2-person teams and basically no information on solo glacier and self-rescue. That could be an angle.

drC

So what would the recomended way for a solo self rescue be? I saw a guy on TV that was using two ice screws, one attached to his harness and one to his boots. Working his way up, sitting or standing while moving the screws.

Each person: 2 person tm on isolated glacier: minimum: 2 pulleys (one can be smaller than the other); 2 prusiks (+ 2 prusik slings); 3 biners; 2 anchors (e.g., picket and ice ax).

This allows each person to construct a "z" pulley (3 to 1) self-jamming prusik system.

I have the prusik slings used for climbing out of the crevasse attached to the rope (the longer one ahead of the shorter), and the hanging parts coiled and stuffed in a pocket. I keep my prusiks used for extricating my partner, pulleys, and biners on my harness, or on a sling over my shoulder.These items must be immediately accesible because first task after stopping the fall is getting in the anchor and attaching a prusik to the rope and anchor to unweight the rope.

Hope this isn't too elementary. This was taught to me by Tim Wilson.

I just bought 3 DMM Revolvers and wanna see if I can tinker with my Tiblocs and made them work sorta speak.

I think they will be ok, but with weight shifting, they may become a problem due to the pulley not securing the rope in, so we will see what happens under real weight.

I will be up on the hill in about 2 hrs, and will put them throught the ringer with my work partner.

Anyway.......I just got back from testing the DMM Revolvers, and as I suspected......NO GOOD as Pulley for crevase rescue due to an unstable platform.

I like them, just not any better that a good ole' PM Pulley......

Thats it.......

While it may be a duh......, it is not described in Self-Rescue by David J. Fasulo. Instead examples of 5:1 and a 7:1 systems are described, both of which I feel are more difficult to remember. And only the 3:1 and 5:1 systems are described in any detail in FOH.