Utah

sketchfest

This coming thanksgiving, I'm going to have the opportunity to visit some family that just moved to Snow Canyon, Utah. So I'm just starting to do some research on this area and was was wondering if anybody had some experience as to what the temps might be that time of year and if it would be worth trying to hit some place like Bryce for a little climbing while we are there.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know that there was any climbing at Bryce -- isn't that all mud-stone?

There's obviously great climbing at Zion, and Indian Creek, though I hear that Thanksgiving is getting a bit late for reliable temps and overall weather for Utah -- though I once climbed Ancient Art (Fisher Towers area) on Christmas Day.

Do you mean they've moved to St George, Utah? I've got family down there too. Snow Canyon State Park is just outside of town. There is some decent climbing there mostly concentrated on one wall, however it faces NW I believe and will probably be shady for most of the day. You might have warm enough weather but I bet it will be on the chilly side. Lots of other sport climbing areas scattered about, some might get more sun exposure. Climbing in Zion will probably be to chilly but just hiking there is well worht it if you haven't been.

Darin

for starters...

plenty to do around st. george.

Late October to Late June

Snow Canyon of course...

Countless limestone sport rigs along the arizona strip...

-the VRG

-black-n-tans

-gorilla cliffs

-the diamond (general consensus: better limestone than france/spain)

-laynge jefferies rigs

-santa clara rigs

...many more

Crank hard...eat buffet in mesquite,nv...kick it in the the terraced pools of "little jamaica"...

Parawon Gap ("Maple Canyon-esque")

...many more cedar city rigs

Late September through Late June

-Zion (have climbed walls in january/february and in late june)

-Kolob

Year round, consultUtahClimbers.com