Virtual Klenke

John_Roper

Virtual Klenke from North Gardner:

http://www.sol.co.uk/v/viewfinder/ngardner.gif

And just in time, since Paul now has a real job.

Jonathan de Ferranti from Scotland tells how to do it.

http://www.sol.co.uk/v/viewfinder/technical.htm

It would be nice to see the 360 degree virtual "view" from all Top 100 peaks, so we can settle the question of "What is the Top 100 peak from which you see the most Top 100 peaks?"

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that neat.

I actually do remember sitting atop Reynolds Peak and being able to count a great many Top 100s from there. I don't remember the exact count. But your question is an intriguing one. Kind of like that unanswerable question of mine: what is the largest diameter circle one could place on a map of Washington wherein no man has ever set foot? 1/2-mile? 1/4-mile? 1/8-mile?

--Real Klenke

Very cool. I've had that idea for quite a while but haven't had the free time to code it up. The biggest issues are dealing with such huge amounts of data (can't be contained in memory all at once). I've raytraced individual quads of DEMs but not larger. Maybe I'll get around to it someday (the idea would be that I'd make the software publically available).

With the exception of some Roper exceptions to my chosen names, they're already as good as accepted. grin.gif

Who cares about the seams. It is an informational picture, not art.

The view that day you were up on Chair:

134512.jpg

Note that from where my above annotated pano was taken (NE Queen Anne) you cannot see Chair Peak so that's why it's not labeled. Certainly you can see it from downtown skyrises, as is evidenced in the above.