[TR] Burgundy Spire- Corkscrew Route 7/14/2005

gyselinck

Climb: Burgundy Spire-Corkscrew Route

Date of Climb: 7/14/2005

Trip Report:

A trip to climb all the Wine Spires today ended short when NOLSe came down with stomach problems from eating a gas station burrito the night before.

We started up the steep ass trail leading to the Wine Spires last night at 12:30. The path basically goes straight up. At one point we climbed to the wrong notch in the dark and had to descend several hundred feet of rotten granite, it was a pain in the ass. Despite getting lost in the dark several times, we made good time to the base of Burgundy Spire. We climbed the Corkscrew Route in the dark and summated at first light. I found the route lots of fun and was way into the climbing, though there was some "looseness." Total time from car to summit of Burgundy was 5 hours and 40 mins. The plan was then to climb Cinati (sp?) and then hit up all the other spires.

While descending NOLSe began complaing of stomach aches. I just passed it off as him being an old man and hiking to fast, not getting enough sleep, not eating enough, or maybe not drinking enough. He claimed it was from bad meat in a burrito he ate the night before. After dealing with several cluster f--ks and having the rope get stuck (common problems while descending Burgundy) we reached our packs at the notch. NOLSe was in such pain that he could go no further. He began burping, farting, pooping, and rolling on the ground. I began to wonder if he had a blown appendix?

He lay on the dirt for several hours and took a nap while I chassed a mountain goat around. I also went to go climb Silver Star by myself, but learned I climbed the wrong thing upon returning to the nap sight.

All in all, it was a fun little climb, but I think I ate more calories then I burned on this trip. It's not often that I come home from a climb with tons of food left over. I highly recomend the route. thumbs_up.gif

Gear Notes:

Two ropes, medium rack

Approach Notes:

Frigin' Steep Trail

(bring an ice axe if your doing anything besides Burgundy.)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My geography might be all screwed up since I'm in Cali and all, but isn't Burgundy Spire - and all the Wine Spires - at Washington Pass? Doesn't that make them in the North Cascades? Isn't the Alpine Lakes Wilderness south of the North Cascades?

I dunno, maybe I need another glass of 3-buck chuck...