Wildflowers

Mike_Gauthier

This isn't climbing, but you may be interested.

Many visitors and rangers are commenting that this may be the one of the BEST years for wildflowers in and around the Paradise and Sunrise meadows. I would suspect the same for other meadows around the park...

I thought you otter know. wink.gif Hope you can get out and enjoy the scenary.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not on any climber's trail, but if any of you are in the mood for a wildflower hike, check out Grand Park on the Northern Loop Trail. This is the biggest and most stunning alpine meadow I have ever had the privilege to see. When I came out of the woods and stood all by my lonesome at the edge of that place, it took my breath away.

On that date, the wildflowers were small and subtle, well seen close up but not at a distance. By now they may be in greater profusion.

Sorry, didn't bring a camera, no pictures.

Where is there the largest profusion of beargrass on rainier?.......any links to surveys of biological data compiled from these sub/and alpine regions.......I know that photo is not beargrass........looks like trillium.....but it can't be....its out of focus.....you take that this month?

Where is there the largest profusion of beargrass on rainier?.......any links to surveys of biological data compiled from these sub/and alpine regions.......I know that photo is not beargrass........looks like trillium.....but it can't be....its out of focus.....you take that this month?

We saw LOTS of beargrass in the Tattoosh, up by Snow Lake and in the meadows between Unicorn and Pinacle

We saw LOTS of beargrass in the Tattoosh, up by Snow Lake and in the meadows between Unicorn and Pinacle

My memory also recalls there being an overabundance along the lower reaches of Cowlitz Divide. Haven't been up there for a few years though, so I wouldn't base a trip on that memory!

I've seen quite a bit in this area too. It seem the bear grass grows better on the non-volcanic slopes.

There is also quite a bit on the Eagle Peak trail (up high that is.)

Thanks for the info.........I remember there being a slope covered on my way to knapsack pass last year.....but it seems as if it grows in abundance around rainier. I know the plant is pretty adaptive but was wondering if the mountain itself has certain conditions (soil/air temp/rainfall ect...) that the plant favors. I know that the plant doesn't tolerate compacting of the soil around it and there for is a good indication of the health of the habitat........As for those avalanche lillies......i belive the root bulb is edible......and should only be consumed if your out of food and your about to die b/c the plant is to fragile to mess with.