crevasse rescue practice anyone?

thatcher

I have climbed rainier twice and hood, and this weekend I'm going to do adams. every climb I have done has been in a two man team. I have semi-learned crevasse rescue and have prussiked up a rope, but I really dont have much experience in arresting with the weight of other climbers and setting an anchor and z pulley. I understand all those concepts, but have little actual experience in practice. I climb with a SAR/MR friend who knows what he is doing, but we would probably actually be in big trouble if someone fell in..especially since it is just a two man team.

I am hoping to get up to rainier or some glacier close to seattle to do some practice in a couple weeks (the 23rd and 24th). Is there anyone with good experience that would like to come up and share their wisdom.

or is there anyone that has any good reccomendations for glaciers close to seattle that are good for arrest and crevass practice?

let me know if you have any thoughts or advice. I will keep posted where we will be doing practice in case anyone wants to join us.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I'm up for some z-pulley practice, thatcher. A few weeks ago, myself and a few others were talking in a couple different threads about wanting to do this (and with some of them, the idea was to do this as a precursor to climbing Rainier, Baker, etc, with each other). Well the idea(s) kinda fizzled out... long story rolleyes.gif ... but from my end of things, a sprained my ankle made me have to put this and lotsa other stuff on hold as of about 3 wks ago. frown.gif

Anyway, the ankle's pretty much better. smile.gif and so this weekend, I went and did a one-day crevasse rescue class with RMI. Did it on this steep snowfield about 2 miles north of Paradise. I learned a shitload thumbs_up.gif ... had done Z-pulley before, but really needed to brush up on it. Also made plans with a couple of the classmates to maybe just maybe hopefully climb a glacier or two later in August.

Yeah but so one thing the guides said which struck home was that you really got to practice this shit again and again.... also said that, while it's good to do so on snow/ice, you can and should set up the ZP in your backyard or driveway, just cuz practicing the mechanics of it are almost as important if not more so than doing it in on snow/ice. (had also heard this promoted a lot in this recent thread in the Climber's Board.)

so let's get together some evening after work and play with pulleys and prussiks in my driveway, or else yours.... and then maybe go up to Rainier for a day and do it.

got plans with two others for driveway ZP practice for Wednesday July 27, about 6 pm ... also tentative plans for the Emmons route on Rainier, weekend of August 20/21.

PM or email me!