MEC Packs vs. Serratus

paborden

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be no direct replacement for the Icefall coming out under the MEC name.

The closest option would likley be the new Alpine 60, due later this summer. The A60 will be quite a bit lighter than offerings such as the Brio series, but I don't think it's as light as the Icefall.

Cheers,

GB

• 7 months later...

[found this old thread while searching for other reviews so i'm resurrecting it instead of starting a new one to report on the alpinelite 30. TMI, sorry.]

Just used my new MEC Alpinelite 30 pack this weekend as a summit ski pack. Loved it. My SO has the old Genie and she loves it, too. So similar, with only minor improvements (IMO) in design, so it's probably not worth upgrading. But I found all the new design features to be well thought out and worth the slight increase in weight and slight decrease in compressibility (in terms of stuffing it into an overnight pack). I was able to fit a 1st aid kit, binding repair kit, down coat, rain coat, avy probe, shovel, extra clothes/gloves/goggles, food and water with a little room to spare. Highly recommend it, especially at that price. Still a little unsure of the long-term durability of the fabric, but it's dyneema, so I'm hoping that means it's good for the wear. thumbs_up.gif that is all.