[TR] LIberty Bell- LCIAD 7/9/2005

telemarker

Climb: LIberty Bell-LCIAD

Date of Climb: 7/9/2005

Trip Report:

I know, I know. Liberty Crack TR's are about as commonplace as the W. Ridge of Prusik, among others. And doing it in a day doesn't even raise eyebrows. So, I'll post a few pics of mine and Kyle Flick's one day climb of Lib Crack. Basics: Started in Wenatchee at 2.30am, got to the base of the route by 6am, and was on route by 6.30am, topping out by 5.30pm. Not blazing by any means, but satisfying for a couple aid and free climbing gumbies that we are.

Here's what I found out about the route that I didn't glean from prior TR's. The first pitch is the trickiest aid all told, though Kyle had no problem. The first pin encountered on the first pitch flexes under body weight. I was able to move it back and forth with my fingers while cleaning. The third pitch hook move is easily skipped by top stepping to a solid yellow alien placement. Being 6'1" and having a +6 inch ape index helps too. The rotten block pitch is the shittiest pitch, leading or following all told. After the rotten block pitch, I was able to climb a full rope length to pitch 8 (from the "Clint" topo), bypassing pitch 7, and the alternative higher belay.

Kyle aiding up a wet first pitch.

1280p1-med.jpg

Flick jugging Lith Lip pitch.

1280p2jug-med.jpg

Jug on P. Three

1280p3jug-med.jpg

The top of pitch 5, long sustained stemming corner.

1280p4-med.jpg

Pitch 10 nice corner pitch.

1280p10-med.jpg

Alpinedreamer and partner topping out on NW Corner, NEWS.

1280news-med.jpg

View from the top.

1280basin-med.jpg

Gear Notes:

Rope 'n Rack.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I'm sure I speak for everyone, INCLUDING all of us who have done that route in a day.

You are welcome to show up here anytime with great pics like that of Liberty Bell. I mean, I'm sitting in a frigan cubical right now. Nothing in the vacinity compares to your TR. I don't care if it took you a week to siege it even, bring it all on!

Great stuff.

thanks from all of us:

Side note: as I age I get stupid, so it took me a bit to figure this Acroynym out so I'l share, LCIAD = Liberty Crack In a Day.

DOHHHH

(Vs LBBECKYROUTEIAD? grin.gif)

EDIT TO ADD DOHHH

Edited by billcoe

• 9 years later...