digital cameras?

courcelon85

Does anyone have experience with digital cameras on extended trips? Specifically, I am going to spend 17 days on Mt. Baker without the opportunity to recharge (though I could bring a spare battery or two with me). I have a Canon PowerShot SD500 but am concerned about whether I should take a regular film camera for this length of time. Does anyone have experience with how long digital camera batteries last?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what are you planning to do on Mt. Baker for 17 days?

RE: your question, I think the amount of use of the camera (# of pictures taken, amount flash is used, time spent reviewing pictures) is more relevant to battery life than total time. I've got a Canon s500 and if I were spending 17 days on Baker (hellno3d.gif) I would take all three of my batteries and try not to use the flash much or do much reviewing of pictures.

i have the s410. i took a ton of huge pics and even some video over 3 days in the enchantments. (i have a 500mb card and had about 70mb left.) i got home and tried to upload them into my computer and the battery died. whew! i've heard that if you turn off the preview function you will save some battery life. hard to tell how long the proprietary ones are supposed to last really, but you might find some estimates online somewhere. if i was going for more than 3 days i'd definitely want a spare. probably depends more on how many pics you are taking than the actual length of time you're out, though. i could be wrong about this stuff, but thought i'd share my exp so far.

Thanks for the advice. I'm doing the NOLS mountaineering course on Mt. Baker, thus, the 17 day-length. I'm definitely getting the sense that I should just take a regular film camera -- I was just hoping to get away with the lighter weight/space of the digital one...

I would suggest looking for an extra battery or two on ebay. You can pick them up for very cheap and they work just as well as the stock one you have now. Another item you might be interested in is a battery operated Image Tank which will allow you to download pics off your card so you can keep taking pictures. The one I have has a 60GB hard drive, runs of (4)AA Batteries and will even charge batteries right in the device. USB 2.0 speeds as well.

Take the disposable ones. They are light, can take up to 36 shots each, and come in a waterproof version. Plus, if you lose or break one, you don't lose all your pics. The shots aren't the best quality, but you and your NOLS buddies are going to look pretty rough after four days anyway, so you might appreciate being a tiny bit out of focus smile.gif

It all really depends on how much you are willing to spend on a camera. The pricier (sp?) models with the lith-ion batteries can last for days upon days at a time, so long as you don't forget to turn off the camera when you aren't using it. When I am out and about I enjoy taking my Nikon d100, an oldie but a goody. I took it on a 18 day bike trip and only had to recharge it once. I probably put at least 300 into it during that time. It takes 19meg images in RAW format, and plus if you drop it you are only out about $1500. But I would have to agree with Bill_Simpkins, get yourself a Holga and a $40 flash and you will be set. 120mm film is rad.

1 battery in my Canon S50 = 250 to 500 MB of photos.

Sounds like they've improved the battery life in the S50. I get only about one 128MB card full of shots from my S40 before the battery dies.

My D70 is much more efficient, I guess because there aren't moving parts to retract the lens, and the LCD screen is off most of the time. I've probably charged the battery 4 times in the 15 months I've had it.

I would strongly advise against printing 16"x20" images from the size of the raw files a S50 creates. The upsampling of any kind of image you are getting 500 shots of on a 250-500meg card would be terrible. I guess if you shot on the RAW setting you could get maybe about 60 images that would print 8.5"x11" or so without distorting. But I guess everything I just said only matters if you are even going to print them at a large scale. In the end... if you are going digital, go for an SLR.

I would strongly advise against printing 16"x20" images from the size of the raw files a S50 creates. The upsampling of any kind of image you are getting 500 shots of on a 250-500meg card would be terrible. I guess if you shot on the RAW setting you could get maybe about 60 images that would print 8.5"x11" or so without distorting. But I guess everything I just said only matters if you are even going to print them at a large scale. In the end... if you are going digital, go for an SLR.
All I know is that I sent a 1.2meg image to a friend. He printed it at 16 by 20. He enlarged a slide from his film SLR at the same size, and to my untrained eye, the resolutions are comparable.

Oh, and I have a 1 gig card, at the highest resolution, the JPGs are typically 2 to 2.5 megs each.

In the end... if you are going digital, go for an SLR.

If you want an SLR. If you want a camera that's portable and that you might actually use while climbing or skiing - get a P&S! I've owned SLR's, I'm looking to buy a D-SLR, SLR's sit on a shelf most of the time for me. What good are better pictures you don't take?

If you are worried about battery life with yur rechargeable battery, buy a 2nd battery and charge it before you go. Cheaper than a disposable camera, or a new camera.

In the end... if you are going digital, go for an SLR.

If you want an SLR. If you want a camera that's portable and that you might actually use while climbing or skiing - get a P&S! I've owned SLR's, I'm looking to buy a D-SLR, SLR's sit on a shelf most of the time for me. What good are better pictures you don't take?

In truth, you probably want both. Just to note the contrarian view:

What good is more pictures that you take if they aren't any good?

As for P&S pictures not being any good - bullshit. Please go on photogeek dick waving.

I don't think anyone said that they weren't any good... I think people (me, primarily) said that the s50's pics weren't any good @ 16"x20". Sorry to be nit-picky or 'dick waving' about it, I was only trying to help out.

Thanks for the advice. I'm doing the NOLS mountaineering course on Mt. Baker, thus, the 17 day-length. I'm definitely getting the sense that I should just take a regular film camera -- I was just hoping to get away with the lighter weight/space of the digital one...

Sorry if this is too late for your trip. According to CIPA standards (whatever that is) the SD500 can take 160 pics on a full charge. Some advanced math reveals that would give you a little under 10 pics per day, which might be a good way restrict your shooting. wink.gif Turning off the LCD is a good suggestion for extending your bat. life, but you definitely should consider buying a second battery for this long of a trip.