Muir sandblasting

ogre

Had nothing better to do this weekend so I gathered up the wife and climbing buddy to do the Camp Muir bit.

We realized the weather wasn't that great but what the heck, just wear all the wicking,warm,windproof,waterproof,keep your arse warm once you get to the top proof gear, right?........ whatever.

We departed the the parking lot around 9:15 and set out. Weather was cloudy and slightly drippy and we could see some of the mountain. Just before the Pebble Creek crossing we encountered the first group of guided folks who were on the descent. When asked of their success it was nope,whiteout and avalanche danger. A little ways up on the snowfield we ran into a couple of other parties heading up as well as two more guided parties on their way down, with the same results. We asked them of the conditions up on the snowfield and they replied "whiteout and soft snow". "Ooook,Thanks", we replied and continued on. The path is well wanded so we fretted not. At around 8k or so the wind began to pickup so we stopped for snacks and to apply the "bombproof" gear we had. We thought. From that point on visibility gradually decreased and wind and frozen precip increased. It seemed as if the stuff was coming up from the ground. Goggles needed to be wiped quite frequently. Soon it became a matter of following the boot tracks as looking up for wands resulted in an unwanted facial blast of very unpleasant weather. My buddy informed me that he wussing out but I told him to just keep breathing. My wife kept directly behind us and as I would frequently turn to check on her I could somehow feel her thoughts as if they were reminding me that it would the dog that would be keeping me warm tonight and not her.

As we made the left sweep at around the 9.5k or so area toward Muir the wind blew more directly at us than before. I now felt some remorse for all the objects I had ever sandblasted. We trudged on as we knew we would eventually arrive at the safety of the shelter. Finally, after what we thought was a mirage, came into view.......... another stinkin' rock. We continued on knowing it couldn't be much further. This time the mirage turned out to be the shelter.

As ugly as they are they were quite beautiful this time up. We went in and met people from various parts of the country and had more snacks. Upon glancing at my I noticed it was a little after 1. I was very surprised as it seemed to have taken much longer. There were a few others that trickled in and was obvious they were very relieved to be inside. The wind seemed to be whipping up pretty good outside. After a half hour or so we were getting pretty comfy but realized we were only halfway there. We had yet to go back to the parking lot at Paradise. We entertained the thought of hailing a cab but unfortunately that thought gave way to the reality that there would be no cabs coming......... ever.

With that ever so distinguishable scent of 'cooking reefer'lofting in the air we took inventory of our shiat. Here's how that went.

1.My wife's 'waterproof' boots were not 'waterproof'

2.her insulated gloves kept her hands nice and cold

3.her shorts and baselayer were soaked due to the fact that she didn't put on her shell pants when I had suggested.(She did wear her coat though)

4.she should have put on the poly baselayer shirt instead of the cute cotton t-shirt she decided to wear.

5.she had no anti-sandblast gear.

my buddy's list

1. 'Impermeable' to wind and water boots were very '

permeated'

2.found out that wind can actually force water through 'Wind,Waterproof' coat........... which makes way for wind later.

3.should bring extra pair of socks next time

4.'Wind,Waterproof' head gear should be a must when mountain climbing(instead of cotton beanie)

5.no anti-sandblast gear

I had my issues as well

1.Shouldn't forget 'wind,waterproof' gloves at home. Especially when climbing a windy and wet mountain.

2.should have taken goggles instead of cheap sunglasses.

3.should have some heating device for hands in case gloves were forgoten at home.

4.must have forgotten to bring anti-sandblasting gear.

As you can see the inventory check-list revealed some overlookage.

We put our gear back on and got 'psyched' for our venture back down the hill.We headed out door and were instantly reminded of two things.

1.The weather hadn't changed.

2.Our'inventory overlookage checklist report'

As we started to head down we were literally being sandblasted as the wind was blowing herself and all of her belongings straight into us. At this point my wife simply got pissed with the situation and charged down the hill.(After she reminded me that she would never do this again) It was all my buddy and I could do to keep up with her. Visibility was very poor. It was very apparent she 'wanted off the mountain'. Thank God for inventing something so complex... such as wands.

We caught up and stayed up with her as our descent consisted of a series of slips,slides,glissades,somersaults,and wipeouts.Basically put, get the hell out of the way 'cause hear we come. With ,of course,my wife in the lead. We quickly descended out of the inclimate weather and I could see my wife's spirits lifting.Perhaps our dog would be sleeping alone tonight. We made Pebble Creek in no time and from there she was a happy camper.It was an enjoyable hike down to the car.

We all had that 17 lb.juicy cheesburger craving once we got there. We ended up at Azteca later where we enjoyed 11 lbs.

of Mexican food instead.Alas, all was well once again. My wife now looks forward to climbing Adams with us, and especially the glissading down.

Gear notes:

Perhaps next time I will at least consider taking anti-sandblasting gear.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic