Roger's Pass

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I have no current info. I will tell you that there was still snow on the route last year at this time. Just patches though. They were steep and exposed, and if icy crampons would have been nessasary. Have a look on the web and see if you can find a rogers pass web cam. Sorry no real usefull info.

It has been raining and snowing there since May. Sir Donald is not in the Rockies BTW.

Right ... but I am at work and its Monday morning. wink.gif

What I meant is I heard of icy conditions in the Canadian Rockies, so it made me wonder of the conditions at Rogers Pass, being, that they are both much farther east than my current position and I have no dirrect experience with any other areas than our local ranges this season.

I was up at Rogers two weeks ago, pretty wet down low and new snow up high. There were lots of griz warnings and I've heard that the approach to Sir Donny is closed now due to a sow and cubs frequently near/on the trail. Google "Live the Vision" and go to the BB, there's a pic of Sir Donald posted recently with lots of snow.

A friend of mine was on Athabasca on the weekend and saw a team of three trigger a 2.5 size avalanche. Apparently the slide stoped just short of a crevasse field. Guides and rangers nearby helped expedite a helicopter rescue. They also heard reports of slides as big as 3.5.

Whoever is at the dials in the old weather control booth has been boozin it.