I made it to Muir!

Iapetus999

Here is my first "trip report"

This was my first time out to Rainier. It was a cloudy day so I didn't even get a glimpse of the mountain until I was about a mile away from Paradise. The clouds parted and I saw the mountain for the first time up close. It looked huge and straight-up. My first thought was "there's no f-ing way I can climb that."

It was about 50 degrees and breezy at Paradise. I had followed an RMI caravan up most of the Mountain. The people getting off the bus seemed really fit like Guard reservists or something.

I really liked the climb up to the snow field. It was very scenic. Even if I had turned around at Pebble Beach it would have been worth the trip.

However once I got onto the snowfield, the clouds rolled in and I couldn't see anything. I barely could see the next flag up the hill. Between the fog, the spots in my eyes from the altitude, the glare, and the vapor on my stupid shades sometimes I couldn't even see my feet.

At about 9000 feet I was getting really tired and really slow. I met a guy named Gary who had an altimeter. Apparently he is a guide out of some Seattle climbing organization. I figured that if I had made it that far, I was going to go all the way. I caught up to him again at 9500 feet. As I was talking to him, the clouds parted and I got my first peek at Camp Muir. smile.gif

I slogged up the rest of the way and made it! It took me 5 hours and pretty much got passed by all the other groups on the hill but I did it.

I hung out there for a little bit but there wasn't many people there. Maybe they were inside somewhere? I didn't go into any of the buildings.

I felt really great! I didn't think the altitude affected me too badly. I wasn't out of breath or anything.

Coming down was fun in the powder. I didn't get lost or anything. Once I got to the trails I kept getting lost.confused.gif I guess you need to read the trail signs going down too. I wound up on the Alta Vista trail but it went down to the parking lot eventually.

Anyways thanks for all your helpful suggestions. This was definitely by far the toughest climb I've done so far. I feel a lot more confident about my summit although I know I have a lot more work to do. I didn't carry as much weight as I will during my summit climb.

So here are my "lessons learned" from this trip.

A) I can do it!

B) I need to eat more before/during the ascent. I just didn't have a lot of energy...could have been altitude related.

C) I need to do more leg work.

D) Sunscreen...I'm going to have to get a really strong one because the one I used didn't do shit

E) Lip sunscreen see D)

F) Glacier glasses. If it wasn't cloudy I'd be blind.

475177-RainierClouds.JPG

475177-RainierClouds.JPG.1e55dbb77be5dea6485ab1228070087b.JPG

Edited by Iapetus999

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you man! Muir is a cool place, and yes, the mountain is daunting from it indeed.

Glad you are working towards your goal of summiting instead of just going out there blindly and attempting.

Good luck, maybe I'll see you up there next time.

The climb to Pebble Beach was kewl...almost all the wildflowers were in full bloom. And on the way down I saw a Marmot up close! I thought it was someone's dog or hairy cat at first.

I wouldn't call the snowfield boring and mundane...more like tedious and brain-numbing. Sliding down was fun tho.

As far as water, I brought 4 liters...probably ended with more than 1 liter left. It was cool and windy so I might sweat more on my summit in August if its warmer & sunnier.

Right on.

If you want to get in a few leg warmups, there is always Mt Si which I find very boring but a great workout. Jog it.

A better place is McClellan Butte. Start at the lower trailhead or the upper. Check it out on a map. There are some places to potentially get lost. The upper trailhead can be difficult to see.

Annette lake trail is good. So is the rail to lake Serene but that is up highway 2. The others are all up 90 nearer Sammamish.

Also see the Talapus lake trail and beyond (up I90).

I sometimes do what you said in a previous post, haul water up and pour it out for the cruise down. Those muscle groups for hauling a pig up steeps are very specific. If you do not train them well you can easily pull them on a Rainier climb.

Congrats! I got a pretty bad sunburn down on Mt. Shasta when I first started climbing on glaciers. Since then I've used Coppertone 30 SPF Oil Free for Sensitive Skin (less oily than some others), it really is sweat proof. For my lips I use Banana Boat Sport 30 SPF lip protector and have not had another burn in the mountains. Make sure to reapply the lip stuff often and to not breathe too much with your mouth open if it is really sunny. The sun reflects off your teeth and the inside of your lips and mouth can get sunburned. Believe me it hurts...

Congrats! I got a pretty bad sunburn down on Mt. Shasta when I first started climbing on glaciers. Since then I've used Coppertone 30 SPF Oil Free for Sensitive Skin (less oily than some others), it really is sweat proof. For my lips I use Banana Boat Sport 30 SPF lip protector and have not had another burn in the mountains. Make sure to reapply the lip stuff often and to not breathe too much with your mouth open if it is really sunny. The sun reflects off your teeth and the inside of your lips and mouth can get sunburned. Believe me it hurts...

The last time I went up Muir, I got burned in the folds in my ear. Now I'm sure to rub lotion in every fold, in addition to the tops of my ears, up each nostri, and under my chin. The reflected sun finds every spot of exposed skin...

i just want to add that sunday on muir sucked. i was up there, visibility was horrible. the last couple thousand feet were complete whiteout. only the RMI wands helped us find out way and winds got fairly high as far as muir is concerned and there was a lot of precipitation.

Ogre here,

I agree with Thatcher. I, my wife, and my climbing partner went to Muir on Sunday. Conditions above Pebble Creek were not favorable but made for an interesting and good warmup trip for other summits this year. I posted a thread in the "Mt. Rainier" forum about our trip. Check it out titled, "Muir Sandblasting".

Congrats. Iapetus999 on your climb. That Mt. is awesome no matter where you set eye or foot upon it. Check out the buildings next time to see what conditions climbers are living in on their way to the summit. And take a camera to proove your existence then and there!

Peace,

Ogre bigdrink.gif