Silver Star Creek vs. Burgundy Col

seacker

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

burgundy col is way faster. i like to get the suffering over quick. by this time of year, there is no water between the river and the col, but past the col you are on snow. someone gave some detailed beta on the approach not long ago: http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000152.html

[This message has been edited by forrest_m (edited 08-10-2001).]

You might want to consider the Willow Creek route too. I think it is the most direct. However, I don't think it has any water once you leave the creek - But it also doesn't have any snow that I remember, so you might be able to go lighter and not take axe/crampons. Easily done in a day, and, based on the lack of any kind of trail (despite what beckey says) when I did it 3 years ago (in september), I doubt you'll see anyone else.

It does require some route-finding though. The travel is a little brushy in the lower bit, but becomes open as soon as you head out of willow ck.

I was up the second week of July. Decent flow at the stream E of the camping flats, but probably dry by now.

You'll be able to get water from the snowfields past the col, in fact, there should be a good flow of water high on the rockband just east of the glacier.

We found what looked like aviation wreckage at the foot of the SS glacier (fiberglass paneling, window grommet, other detritus). Anyone know any details behind that?

-t

Regarding aviation wreckage,

I seem to remember reading about a helicopter crash up there this spring. Must have been heli-ski folks. Anyone else remember that?

As for burgundy vs. silverstar creek, I gotta vote for burgundy. It's steep and long (over 3500 vertical as I recall) but so direct and not as bad as it sounds -- on good trail the whole way, once you cross early winter creek --- and pretty clear where you're going the whole time. Takes about 2.5 - 3 hours to the col from the car.

Silverstar creek is more of a wander, without much trail to follow, and potential to run into obstacles like slabs and creeks and other things which slow you down. I'd rather take the steep and direct than the wandering anyday.

Classic parallel example: Tried to approach eldorado via sibley ridge once, hoping to avoid the steep eldo creek approach. Mistake. Got lost and wandered too much on ridge, didn't climb peak as planned. Next time, I'll opt for steep and direct. Burgundy Col is the way to go, for me.

Steve