The Circuit Gym

thecircuit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your definition of bouldering on the site is way too long. To broaden the appeal, you should use AskMen.com's definition:

Bouldering: This method consists of climbing small boulders without any equipment. Basically, it's like hiking with some obstacles thrown in.

It's much easier for the layperson to understand.

drC

I think that it is safe to say at this point that everyone (excluding Gary Rall) will be very happy with our rate structure. This gym is for all of you, not the hardcores only, not the newbies only, not just the kids- anyone that likes climbing, likes what it does for you, and likes the social interaction of the sport. Come see for yourself. $5 day passes the first month we're open.

• 3 weeks later...

i can't believe there is a gym for just bouldering... normal climbing gyms are dull enough as is but at least you can get a little air under your feet. 10 minutes of bouldering and I'm ready to cry.gif from the lameness of it. Can't imagine paying for it. Of course, I used to say that about hookers, too...

I've heard there was a "plumbing issue" and the place was flooded. Carpet & padding have to be replaced, etc. 3rd hand info.

Maybe thecircuit can chime in with a revised opening date and/or details.

Ah, perhaps this ties in with the previous word on the street that a certain enthusiastic new gym owner proceeded with his new construction, plumbing, and electrical without jumping through that small but pesky hoop known as "getting a building permit." blush.gif

Hoo nose?

i can't believe there is a gym for just bouldering... normal climbing gyms are dull enough as is but at least you can get a little air under your feet. 10 minutes of bouldering and I'm ready to cry.gif from the lameness of it. Can't imagine paying for it. Of course, I used to say that about hookers, too...

PRG tried a bouldering gym in the Pearl a few years back. Probably a concept in that area that would do well now but not back then.

Who goes to the climbing gym for the exposure? wazzup.gif

Spoken like a true VB boulderer.

the walls look cool. the only thing i don't like about gym bouldering is that there is not much opportunity to cruise some moderate climbs. too much cranking all the time starts to hurt. if i were to make a bouldering gym it would inlcude some easier traverse/warm up areas. also newbies are a big part of making $ so they need someplace to climb.

Also what is up with the website, why not put a picture of the gym on the front page instead of all the cheesy graphics.

To dispell any false rumors-

we didn't get a permit for the climbing walls until after they were built, we were under the impression that the walls did not need to be permitted. I have built climbing walls all over the place and this was the very first permit I had to get for wall construction. Portland is very unique in this regard. Everything else was done in the right manner (permits, etc.), but one of the drywallers knocked off a sprinkler head and caused a bit of a flood, and we will be ready to open once the restoration crew replaces the flooring.

Look, there is a great crew of people busting themselves to bring something good to the scene. But big projects always seem to have a few hitches. I am sorry we have taken so long, I hope when we are open it will seem like it was worth it to alot of you. In the mean time, stop by for a look, we take time for everyone that walks through the door.

Lastly, we are working on a new website model now- but really, would you rather have me focus on a really flashy web site or getting the gym done? Thanks for your patience everyone!

-a certain enthusiastic new gym owner

Who goes to the climbing gym for the exposure? wazzup.gif

exposure? fucking idiot. work on your reading skills

gyms suck ass anyway you cut them... but bouldering in a gym sucks the most ass.

Hey...HEY! That's Dr. Flash Amazing you're fucking with, son. Take a deep breath, take a step back, and fucking settle down before you go firing off your yap like you're talking to the gas station attendant or something.

Shit. hellno3d.gif

gyms suck ass anyway you cut them... but bouldering in a gym sucks the most ass.

what is the SI unit for ass-sucking? coil-meters/min?

2.32 coil-meters/min = 1 olyclimber

Your written and specific threat to Olyclimber has

been copied and saved and put on file for future use

for the Police if needed.