Pro Mountain Sports

Pro Mountain rules. I have been happy with everything I have bought and Jim always takes care of his fellow climbers, who just also happen to be his customers. He was willing to meet Wayne and I at the shop last week early morning so Wayne could get a piece of gear he needed before we left for the pickets. That was awesome and much appreciated! It is also just fun to check out all the neat new stuff that comes out that you wouldn't see shopping at the main stream places.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If nothing else, buy local. staREIbucks lost its local status way before I even knew what climbing was. REI-Joes has an entire floor dedicated to clothing most of which I would never consider wearing anywhere (to be fair, there remain a few select things that do not contain cotton.)

However, I think Pro Mountain Sports should try a little harder to keep pace with REI's realistic outdoor setting. Down there they have authentic northwest bushwhack past raging cataracts where you can get lost for days and totally epic while hoodlums ransack your automobile for goods tradable for shack-crack. As Pro Mountain Sports caters to a more technically-minded clientele, I see it necessary that its owner provide genuine rockfall, wet slabs, and an obvious gully as mandatory approach to his wares. Visitors should be subject to the occasional forced bivy in the fitting pit when viscious ethicists slash their anchor tat.

I agree. PMS has a down to earth "what you really need" atittude thumbs_up.gif

My only complaint is the beef against camalots cry.gif

Personally I like them and know when I need what.

My friend bought the cams they (PMS) suggested and while they were light the shit was sticky as hell. I've never had that problem with my camalots. snaf.gif

• 2 months later...

My friend bought the cams they (PMS) suggested and while they were light the shit was sticky as hell. I've never had that problem with my camalots. snaf.gif

Jim sells C4s now.

Regarding sticky cams, I climb regularly on Met TCUs, DMM 4cus, single-stem Camelots, and aliens. I've had the most problems with the TCUs. But I imagine it's more of an issue of the type of rock, how careful I am about keeping the cams out of the dirt...

Jim sells C4s now.

Regarding sticky cams, I climb regularly on Met TCUs, DMM 4cus, single-stem Camelots, and aliens. I've had the most problems with the TCUs. But I imagine it's more of an issue of the type of rock, how careful I am about keeping the cams out of the dirt...

I've had some issues with TCU's getting sticky as well. Boiled, cleaned em, lubed em, workin great now! Never had any problems with the DMM's, or the camalot's i've borrowed. And while I didn't like the older camalots the new C4's seem pretty swanky! The old thumb studs just always felt squirly to me.

• 2 months later...

Stopped in last week looking for some anti bots for my crampons.. Was heading to Hood at the time. He didn't think he had any in stock.. said no problem. You can use ours till yours arrive and we can mail them to you.(free of charge I might add) I was impressed with that!!! Turned out he had some after all so it all worked out anyways. Spent some money and will be back. Gotta love a little personal service these days.

I went in today and saw one of these . . What the fuck is this!?!?! yelrotflmao.gifhahaha fucking dumb shit. . . but, hey, if it sells, but who the hell would buy this thing? I really wish there was a 3-D image; it is a completely flat, heavy ass piece of metal. I don't get it I guess rolleyes.gif.

5007738_v1_m56577569830561937.jpg

So at what point to tools become so fucking unbelievably specialized, funky, ugly, twisted and totally inpractical for anything but a very specific type of climbing that they become "aid" rather than tools? Geek_em8.gif

I went in today and saw one of these . . What the fuck is this!?!?! yelrotflmao.gifhahaha fucking dumb shit. . . but, hey, if it sells, but who the hell would buy this thing? I really wish there was a 3-D image; it is a completely flat, heavy ass piece of metal. I don't get it I guess rolleyes.gif.

So at what point to tools become so fucking unbelievably specialized, funky, ugly, twisted and totally inpractical for anything but a very specific type of climbing that they become "aid" rather than tools? Geek_em8.gif

What you don't realize is that the shaft is specially designed with active snow camming for the iceaxe belay, and also notice the improved traction on the top for self arrest. This results in very agressive stopping power, with only a minimum of bloodshed.

Hands.jpg

You mean like skis? Start your own thread.

You mean like skis? Start your own thread.

Eh? Not sure I've seen super elaborate ski designs. It's pretty much a plank - granted it has evolved amazingly far from it's humble beginnings.

Now what I do want to see is a "mixed ski", specially designed for those nice mixed rock/snow ski lines! smile.gif

Or having your customer bring in his "expert" buddy who read that and contradicts your help...mostly due to the buddies 90 minutes of reading the latest gear review and a strong need to inflate their frail male ego.

Having worked too many years in outdoor retail, I feel like sending a sympathy card to my favorite shops at the end of the season.

-r