Pro Mountain Sports

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of depends on who's working that day. Jim and Collin rockband.gif though, and all the gear kicks ass.

Had one guy tell me that hex's have absolutely no place on the rack of someone learning to lead while I was asking about the differences between the types of hexes available. (I was putting my first rack together last spring), and instead of buying a set of hex's I should just buy a cam, all with a very holier than though attitude rolleyes.gif. Needless to say, I ignored him and went with the Wild Country's which kick butt!

Talking with a climber about hexes or tri-cams is similar to talking politics or religion. It's a charged topic that can easily lead to an, shall we say, overenthusiastic exchange of beliefs.

It's unfortunate that you came out of there feeling the guy was condescending, but it is a sensitive area you were treading upon laugh.gif.

here, here! in addition to stocking the good stuff, Jim et. al. take good care post-sale as well. on numerous occasions they've quickly made things right when things break. discriminating heads and shoulders above Return Every Item, Inc. bigdrink.gif

here, here! in addition to stocking the good stuff, Jim et. al. take good care post-sale as well. on numerous occasions they've quickly made things right when things break. discriminating heads and shoulders above Return Every Item, Inc. bigdrink.gif

Agreed. Jim really helped me with a pair of boots that turned out to not fit as great as I thought when I was in the store.

Dunno, bad luck? A fluke?

I've called ahead, as TLG suggested, and bought stuff at 7:00 without a problem. Yes, they do have fewer hours than REI, but they need to do what they can to keep costs down -- it's much easier for REI to afford the extra hours. And Jim treats his employees way better than REI does.

TLG: "well, the cool thing about jim is that he's a climber and he really puts a lot of thought into the utility of what he sells."

Yeah, I'm still trying to find a good time to use that Frog he sold me back in 2001. smirk.gif

web-frame-kong-frog.jpg

That dirty rat bastard!

{Okay, I have used it a few times at the local cragmarkets.}

"i don't know what's funnier. the fact that jim wouldn't sell camalots, but would sell KONG Frogs"

Bolts are so much easier to deal with than cracks, and QD's so light. What do you say crackbolter(Tony)?

Everytime I have been into Jim's store it has been a pleasurable experience (except for once when the guy playing solitaire at the front desk didn't even acknowledge my existence even though I was the only customer in the store). The very first time I went to PMS Jim spent an hour and a half with me going over the pros and cons of the gear I was intending to buy.

I'm the type of consumer who does a lot of research ahead of time and I feel I'm pretty hard to please, and very stubborn when it comes to listening to other people's advice on gear. Every time I visit PMS, the folks there go through great lengths to make sure I'm buying what I need. I've even been talked out of a few purchases only to be sold on something entirely different than what I thought I wanted. This advice has always been welcome and I now swear by the gear I've been introduced to at PMS (Jim introduced me to Wild Things Primaloft, the Integral Designs Silshelter and Western Mountaineering VersaLite sleeping bag, Colin introduced me to Dyneema slings). How many times have you had this kind of experience at REI or even Feathered Friends?

Of course with the good advice comes advice that doesn't work for everyone. Climbing is a diverse sport with diverse routes and diverse participants. Not everyone is going to agree on the same choices of gear, but the bottom line is Jim carries a wide variety of gear that can suit just about any climber -- no matter what their niche (alpine, sport, hiking).

Three out of four in my immediate family climbs and we all shop at PMS. I would recommend Pro Mountain Sports over any other gear retailer. Even with the one negative experience I had. thumbs_up.gif

On the flip side, it really sucks to work in a gear shop when someone comes in after having done all the research (to the most minute detail) and then starts asking you questions they already know then answers to. you give your opionion only to have the customer spit back some catalogue bullshit to contradict or challenge you.

i'm sure anyone that's worked outdoor retail knows exactly what i'm talking about. oooohhhhhh that's annoying.