[TR] prusik peak- west ridge 7/3/2005

thelawgoddess

Climb: prusik peak-west ridge

Date of Climb: 7/3/2005

Trip Report:

i scored an enchantments permit from wolfs for the three-day weekend. (thanks again, wolfs! thumbs_up.gif) in all my years of living in wa, i’d never been up there, so markws and i figured we’d make it a weekend and give prusik a go while we were there.

on saturday morning we parked at the snow creek trailhead, and a local buddy (thanks, ryan!) gave us a lift to the colchuck lake trailhead. we stopped for lunch at the lake, where mark caught a couple of trout in less than 10 minutes.

559mark_with_trout.JPG

the breeze picked up while we were there and kept the heat of the day from baking us silly. once rested we began the final 2200-foot grind. there is very little snow left up to aasgard pass. i only remember crossing a couple of small patches high. by the time we were at the top i was wearing shell pants and my goretex jacket, as well as a hat and gloves! once over we were both surprised at how much snow there was. the first lake we came to was still frozen so we continued onward.

559enchantments_near_aasgard.JPG

it was very cool to see prusik in the distance!

559heading_towards_prusik.JPG

we ended up at inspiration lake, below the snow line and a short jaunt to prusik pass. it was cold!!! the wind was mach’ing and it was all i could do to sit in the tent with my sleeping bag and make a cup of hot chocolate through the door. but it was an amazing spot, with the lake right there and those brilliant granite cliffs behind it.

559goat_and_view_from_tent.JPG

the next morning we were rudely awakened at about 6am to the sound of hooves and bleating, as a local group of mountain goats made their urine-seeking rounds. the babies were cute!

559baby_goats.JPG

we eventually rose and prepared for an assault of prusik. what an awesomely short approach from our tent!

559the_sign.JPG

we made it to prusik fairly early and saw one group heading up the scramble and another getting ready. turns out the latter was headed for the south face so we didn’t have to wait for anyone. it was a beautiful day, but the wind was pretty constant … and quite cold! we were climbing on one half rope doubled over so that made for short pitches, which worked out well since there are sections that would have heinous rope drag anyway. the climb started out fun …

559fun_stuff_on_the_west_ridge.JPG

then got more "interesting" ...

559funky_spot_on_the_ridge.JPG

and gradually felt more exposed as we gained the ridge.

559the_unprotected_slab.JPG

at the pitch before the bolt we had gone up the vertical thin corner on the right. the party behind us went up left. we were wondering why that pitch seemed so much harder than it should have been! the bolted move was fun and the chimney was about as short and pleasant as a chimney might be. the summit – yay! (except for all the mosquitoes!!!)

559summit_shot.JPG

the descent consisted of multiple raps – 5, i think. at which point we traversed back towards the start of the climb. there were several snow patches to cross, which are real fun in rock shoes, but it wasn’t too bad. the mosquitoes, on the other hand, were. thumbs_down.gif all in all, a great climb in an amazing setting, though!

on the way back to inspiration lake we saw several furry marmots.

559marmot.JPG

the next morning, wayne1112 and lane walked by camp, on their way out to prusik. on our way out of the enchantments, we spied them starting their climb of the south face.

559wayne_and_lane_on_prusik_peak.JPG

you can just make out a helmet at the base.

559close_up_of_wayne_and_lane.JPG

thanks for the wonderful weekend, markws!!! thumbs_up.gif and for carrying my pack … yellaf.gif

559mark_mule.JPG

Gear Notes:

60m half rope

bunch of nuts

some hexes

a few cams

Approach Notes:

see above.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice TR and pics. I was up there solo yesterday. Beautiful day, sunny and warm with a little breeze to keep the mosquitos away.

Passed a bunch of people in the morning on their way out and then in the afternoon a bunch of people coming up, but there was no one else up on Prusik while I was up there.

Prusik is bootie central. A handful of nuts and some nice new blue slings. A couple more trips up there and I'll have a full rack!

i really should be institutionalized just for the pure fact that I've lived in WA my entire life, now I live in AK, and have never really climbed, hiked, or camped in the Cascades outside of Rainier.

Don't worry, you need not say anything.

I hang my head in shame!