How do I get to Muir?

Iapetus999

Hi I'm new here! wave.gif

I'm scheduled to climb Rainier with RMI in 6 weeks.

I want to climb to Muir a couple times to train for it.

I've never even been up to Paradise.

What gear do I need to climb up there and is it easy to find the way?

I'm planning to go Saturday Jul 9. Is there anyone going that route I could tag along with?

Any tips/links would be welcome.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...will I need crampons/boots/gaitors?

nice to have/yes/nice to have

I have poles+ lots of ski gear/clothes.

Poles are nice, but if you're only going to Muir for a day (this assumes that you're not schlepping a huge pack up there), I wouldn't take them.

I find it rather puzzling that someone who asks questions about going to Muir would even begin to contemplate climbing Rainier, but I suppose that is what RMI is for.

Muir is a (boring) hike. If the weather rolls in, you'll be reminded that you are pretty much higher than any other point in the state.

Offer free tokes on the way up and free beer upon returning and there are about a dozen guys here who will carry you up there.

But you WILL have fun even without drugs.

It is a very incredible place to be and a fantastic place to ski.

I wouldn't put it that way. The skiing is alright but not really that good. The climb/hike up is a good measure of how you will do on a volcano climb, but it isn't the best ever.

There are good views of the southern Cascades, and if you're climbing the mountain it's a good test of your ability.

Fuck you asshole. I never said it was a bad thing to do. boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

If you're climbing Rainier with RMI later then go for it...otherwise find something else to do.

Hey spicoli, have you ever climbed anything that wasn't a volcano...I didn't think so...wanker. wazzup.gif

Iapetus999 hiking to Muir is a good measure of your ability to climb the mountain...but not much more.

Edited by AlpineK

Boy this is a spirited web site. cool.gif

I'm just doing Muir for the Rainier training...it is the highest elevation hike I can do around here.....

After Muir, you might consider doing the South Side of Adams as a very long day trip or an overnight. Gets you up to 12k. But have your navigation skills down in case the weather blows in.

Muir is a (boring) hike. If the weather rolls in, you'll be reminded that you are pretty much higher than any other point in the state.

to each his own.

I always have a great time when I hike to Muir (in good weather). Great views, sounds and smells of alpine meadows, being at elevation, etc.

A boring hike is something more in the vein of Mt. Si.

Boy this is a spirited web site. cool.gif

I'm just doing Muir for the Rainier training...it is the highest elevation hike I can do around here.....

yes, it is. wink.gif

muir is great training for the climb to camp when you make an attempt. if you're in shape for that part, that'll definitely help! and if it's nice out, it is beautifl ...

I wouldn't put it that way. The skiing is alright but not really that good. The climb/hike up is a good measure of how you will do on a volcano climb, but it isn't the best ever.

There are good views of the southern Cascades, and if you're climbing the mountain it's a good test of your ability.

I stand by my assessment.

Maybe you have been up there too many times.

Whenever I take someone up there, they are blissed out. Even the experienced climbers.

I guess if you are looking for a lot of steep terrain there are better places to ski. But a newbie will have a blast on the 6 mile ski down. Watch out for ice and rock but most of it is a wind in your face cruise with great views.

The Adams reccommendation is a good one too. Also a good ski and even has some pretty steep skiing up on top. If you are not going to ski it, do the north ridge and avoid the crowds.

OK obviously some of you can't read.

What I said was it's a good training hike with some good views. The skiing is mediocre at best and due to it's popularity the snowfield is a zoo. I'd do it if I was training to climb Rainier for the first time.

It's not a bad hike every once in a while, but if that's all you do then you lack creativity.

Hey Bug, living with mormons isn't helping your smarts. cantfocus.gif

Hey this is almost like the cc.com before the bannings.

Dude. You clearly played down a place that is so popular with the rest of the country it was made into a national park. Are we going to diss every place we have been 500 times?

Why the hell did you go there 500 times?

Re-read your own thread after your morning coffee.

And where did the mormon comment come from?

Never mind.

Your mind is a strange place. I don't want to go there. grin.gif