Mt. Adams as first Cascade...

scheissami

A friend of mine is visiting me and would like to climb one of the cascades. He has no mountaineering experience, but is an avid backpacker. Myself, I have very minimal experience, having only participated in some glacier travel classes (but no rescue courses). Would the south route up Mt. Adams be doable for us? Everything I've read seems to suggest it's a burly hike, but not technical. Or, would you suggest maybe another climb? Also, we'll be doing it first week of August--are crampons/ice ax necessary?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The South Slog isn't technical. You may need crampons but the boot track is usually ok without them. Depends on your level of comfort looking at a 2000 foot runout. On descent, you will be plunge stepping down this slope with the full view. Crampons will probably just ball up if its warm and make it more dangerous. I'd take an axe just so you can use it on the glissade not to mention the self arrest capabilities it gives you.

If you want the simplest Cascade climb, go hike up South Sister. Nothing but a long walk and lts of dust.

...He has no mountaineering experience... Myself, I have very minimal experience...

You'll be fine as long as you can follow the donkey trail and the visibility stays good. Map and compass/GPS if you have any doubts about that ability.

Please, please, please do NOT decide to make the glissade from the false summit to the Lunch Counter (the 2000 ft runout that Ducknut refers to above) with your crampons on. Every year our mountain rescue group goes up there to drag someone off the mountain with a broken leg/ankle. The cause? Glissading with crampons on. Despite what people might think about the braking abilities of crampons, they are only breaking possibilities. Take them off if you're going to butt slide.