Free Soloing

Free Soloing....Hot or Not?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Free Soloing....Hot or Not?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dumb thread, IMO. If you're out there freesoloing because you think it's hot, you're probably going to get killed. The only reasons to freesolo are personal and polls like this one are irrelevant.

I think that you have offered a valuable and insightful response. Thanks for taking the time to ponder my dumb poll.

• 4 months later...

Free Soloing also meens home alone if the mountains are your home. In that case it's all for yourself, no sharing, no begging, no murmurs, no nags. Just mother nature and you. If that's not enough you always can climb solo, the fuck solo to get really hot. But I rather go climbing in winter...

Free soloing is such a personal expierence that a poll about doing it is pointless and expressing your feelings probably useless for anyone else. I used to free solo a bit, usually well under my leading ability and only when it felt perfectly right to be doing it. soloed karate crack at Smith in like 82 but only after backing off the first few moves mabey 5 or 6 times...it just didn't feel right. When it did the climb felt like 5.6 and falling never entered my mind, it was one of the best climbing highs I had ever expierenced. shortly afterward i decided to free solo onsite a seldom climbed route Bills Flake, also at Smith and another 10a. I climbed a lot of hand cracks in those days and figured there was no way I could fall out of a 10a. I launched up and it quickly became apparant this was no easy hand crack. It became more like fist and I had done moves i knew were irreversible. I later learned it's more like 10c. I pulled thru but it was shakey and I felt like I had done a very foolish thing, death or severe injury could have occured for very little gain. Instead of the elation after karate i felt a little shame and toned my free soling down a few grades if at all afterwards. That said there is no feeling like the rush of going ropeless, it is a very good drug indeed and addictive. So watch out and know how to downclimb well, that skill saved my bacon more than once.

Edited by retired