[TR] Copper Mountain

Fairweather

Knowing that I have spent many days in the southeast Olympics, my brother-in-law called me up Friday night to ask if I would come along with he and his 14 year old daughter on a hike to Wagonwheel Lake and climb of Copper Mountain the following morning. For some reason, I had never been to either of these places and my 16 year old son, Ben, was excited to come along as well. I had always had this minor peak in the back of my mind, but considered it unworthy of attention and figured it would be nothing more than a good conditioner as the elevation gain is over 4500 feet. As it turns out, it was one of the most enjoyable hikes/bushwacks/day-climbs I have done in a long time!

With my 14 year old neice setting the pace, the four of us left the Staircase trailhead and hiked the 2.8 miles/3200' elev gain to Wagonwheel Lake in one hour and 30 minutes! My son, no slouch himself, had a befuddled grin on his sweat-covered face the entire way as he too was amazed a girl could crank out elevation like this.

At the lake, fog all around us, we headed south X-C up a wooded ridge, and then up a long, rather steep green open slope riddled with more marmot dens than I have ever seen. I felt bad as we inadvertently put our feet through several of them. Devils Club was present too, but easy to get around. Crossing though woods at the top of this slope we again bushwacked up another open slope covered with flowers, the smell of mountain green and mist filled our senses. Magnificent!

869CIMG0087-med.JPG No evidence of ANY recent human presence was evident and it was soon apparent, contrary to my earlier beliefs, that this climb isn't frequently done. But just when we thought we were lost in the thick fog that enshrouded everything, an old shred of surveyors tape told us we were on route.

869CIMG0092-med.JPG

We broke out onto a large talus field that brought us to a notch where the peak revealed itself for the first time.

869CIMG0095-med.JPG No route was apparent so we continued up the most logical right-sloping bench to the summit ridge. 3rd-class scrambling led us to a small col just beneath the top where we were faced with a climber-parent's wost nightmare. A 3rd or 4th class traverse on a downsloping ledge with only empty space just three feet below....and no short rope like the one I usually ALWAYS carry. The kids had no qualms about hitting the summit and were more than mildly annoyed at our paranoia, so we put our parental fears aside (sort of) and let them have at it. On the top we were pretty fogged in, and saw only a brief view of Lincoln. Elinor was not to be seen.

869CIMG0090-med.JPG869CIMG0094-med.JPGSome tense downclimbing and we were back at the base of the ridge and marveling at the bizzare rock formations all around. Reddish, brick-like boulders with quartz clumped in. ?? We took a leisurely pace back through this paradise and saw a beautiful buck with one of the nicest velvet covered racks I have ever seen.

869CIMG0088-med.JPG

869CIMG0091-med.JPG

869CIMG0093-med.JPGThe fog would lift every few minutes to reveal our return route, and our uphill tracks were apparent in the previously undisturbed earth.

Returned to the car 8 hours from our departure, not too trashed, but feeling very good about our Olympic Mountain day 'hike'.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Good TR.

I've wondered about that climb for awhile. I almost went up there a couple of years ago when I was in the area for another climb, but hiked up Mt. Rose instead after the ONP gatekeeper told me how much I would have to pay to enter the park and spend the night up at the lake. Copper sounds A LOT more interesting than Rose.

Were you guys trying to follow the climbers guide route? I don't have the guide in front of me, but it seems like it was rated Class 2. Sounds like it was under-rated by the Oly book.

Copper is often overlooked. In the winter there is almost always a nasty cornice hanging from the summit. And in the summer, well, there's other stuff worth doing and Copper gets ignored. Its not surprising you didn't see much evidence of people. The bump above Wagonwheel Lake is also another popular destination, giving some unique views of Sawtooth Ridge and the Elinor/Washington ridge.

Now jump across the valley and charge up Lightning Peak. That's a lovely brushfest with some brief, interesting rock towards the top. Bring your bee sting kit.

• 6 years later...