URGENT REQUEST FOR PUBLIC INPUT/MADRONE WALL

John Frieh

AN OPEN LETTER:  URGENT REQUEST FOR PUBLIC INPUT/MADRONE WALL:

I was asked by Bob McGown, Chair of the American Alpine Club - Oregon Section, to prepare a sample letter that people could use as a template to provide their own input to the Clackamas County Board of Commissioners regarding their upcoming decision on the future of the Madrone Wall.  Please see that which I have attached (along with an advertisement that we will are preparing to run in several newspapers).  I ask you to forward this sample letter on to those on your email lists, your friends, family - whoever may write or email the Commissioners.

The Commissioners are deliberating the future of this amazing civic treasure and are scheduled to make a decision later this fall on the future use.  Now is the time to make your voice heard.  Even with all the good will and activity generated in the last six months to elevate the awareness, to date, only a few dozen people have written or emailed the Commissioners.  Because so many are so interested in preserving this site and would like to visit it again, I believe that we, as a community, can offer much more constructive input to the Commissioners.  Please take a moment to write your own letter or simply modify the sample letter I've provided and send or email it to the Commissioners and help us save this treasure for all time.  Thank you.

Keith K. Daellenbach (503/691-4102)

Secretary/Treasurer, Director

Madrone Wall Preservation Committee

5815 N.E. 31st Avenue

Portland, Oregon  97211

www.savemadrone.org

473156-063005samplelettertoBOC.doc

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Please attend the meeting this Weds regarding the future of Madrone. Way more climbers need to attend these meetings! From Kellie Rice of the Access Fund:

Public Meeting:

Madrone Wall

For Recreation & Conservation Groups

Wednesday September 14, 2005

7:00 pm- 9:00pm

at the Sunnybrook Service Center Auditorium

9101 SE Sunnybrook Blvd- exit 14 off I-205 towards Clackamas Promenade

Parking is below building. Building lies on the north side of the road 1/4

mile west of I-205.

( mapquest link at bottom of e-mail)

Recent meetings organized by County officials in August have been held

with residents living near the Madrone Wall site,

rock quarry businesses, and land agencies ( State Parks, Metro), to solicit input and provide feedback to the County in regards to the best use of this site. Feedback from two of the meetings

concluded:

From the residents living near the Madrone Wall on August 10th, there is

unanimous

support for preservation as an open/park space. A significant number

requested immediate access to this site. From the agencies ( Metro/State Parks) held on August 16th, agencies were quoted as saying: You can't ignore the greater value of this site for the community. It would be a shame if it fell out of public ownership, being very short-sighted. There is value in this property for the surrounding habitat.

Now it's our turn! This is our ONLY chance to provide feedback to Clackamas County. Never

before in the last eight years has Clackamas County considered

preservation an option! Come and show your support! These meetings are in an open discussion format to share your ideas and

concerns.

Questions? Contact Keith Daellenbach -503-691-4102 or Kellie Rice 971-235-6169

Thanks!

Kellie Rice

Access Fund Rep

President, Madrone Wall Preservation Committee

www.accessfund.org

www.savemadrone.org

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?