cam slinging

astrov

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're discussing sewn slings (Spectra or Dyneema typically).

drC

(for the sake of newbs) tieing spectra or dyneema is a very bad thing. the material is slippery and will not hold the knot. using nylon webbing just isn't as strong. Besides, knots lower the breaking strength anyway.

Best to do it the right way.

Let's not inadvertantly cause concern through a misunderstanding. Nylon is not as strong as SpectraDyneema. Knots do reduce the strength of the rope/sling/whatever.

Now for the key statement: Nylon when knotted properly is plenty strong for climbing.

The main reason you wouldn't want to tie your own cam slings is the bulky knot and the tendency of knots to come untied. If you don't mind the bulk or checking the knot frequently, you should be fine.

Let's not inadvertantly cause concern through a misunderstanding. Nylon is not as strong as SpectraDyneema. Knots do reduce the strength of the rope/sling/whatever.

Now for the key statement: Nylon when knotted properly is plenty strong for climbing.

Quite correct, thanks for the clarity.

The main reason you wouldn't want to tie your own cam slings is the bulky knot and the tendency of knots to come untied. If you don't mind the bulk or checking the knot frequently, you should be fine.

This applies to NYLON ONLY. You should never knot spectra or dyneema. But, since I've never personally tested this theory, maybe someone braver than me should try it! hellno3d.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard that you can knot thin (mammut 8mm) spectra using a 2x fishermans, but im not about to start cutting up mine to try it. anyone done this?

you'd want to make that a triple fisherman's for spectra / dyneema, I think.