[TR] Mt Adams- South Climb 6/24-6/25/2005

Harm

Climb: Mt Adams-South Climb

Date of Climb: 6/24-6/25/2005

Trip Report:

For the sake of updating any curious parties on current Mt. Adams conditions, I was part of a group of 5 that took a leisurely trip up the South climb on Mt. Adams on Friday 6/24. After registering in Trout Lake, we made our way to Cold Springs for the nice hike in. The approach is snow free until roughly 6300 and then sparse mixed snow/rock until reaching the Crescent glacier.

5278DSCN0877-med.JPG

5278DSCN0874-med.JPG

We blazed a trail straight up the headwall (if you can call it that) of the Crescent as opposed to taking the ridge route to the west.

Snow on the approach to the lunch counter was fairly well consolidated in the old boot tracks while punching through was common if off the beaten track. Looked to be excellent corn skiing by late morning/early afternoon.

5278DSCN0883.JPG

We reached the lunch counter pretty early, set up camp and broke out the mini-bar for an afternoon of relaxation.

Woke up around 4:30am on saturday to no wind, partially obscured sky.

5278DSCN0890.JPG

Left camp around 6:20am and headed up to south face to the summit by 9:00am after stopping a couple times to repair some REI rental boot caused blister issues for one of our group members. Excellent weather, not too cold (just below freezing) or windy, and nice day to be climbing, snow stayed fairly firm all the way to the top but not too hard, some of the group had crampons on, and some choose to go without.

5278DSCN0901.JPG

5278DSCN0912.JPG

Ate lunch on top and started our way down around 10:30 or so... the snow off the summit was too firm for glissading but once reaching the false summit, the glissade path to the lunch counter was soft enough. Several non-stop false summit to lunch counter glissades were done by the group.

Skiing conditions looked great by 11am and possible all the way to the base of the Crescent glacier.

Gear Notes:

crampons, ice axe for glissading control

Approach Notes:

Cold Springs Trailhead

Edited by Harm

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To address a couple of the questions...

I climbed in Koflach plastic boots and would bring a pair of sandles for lounging around camp. The approach isn't that terrible (or long on the gravel) in plastic. I think you could ALMOST climb the whole thing in approach shoes if you stayed on the beaten path but you'd be subject to some good plunges if you find some soft spots in the afternoon. If you really hate hiking in plastic then bring some approach shoes and you'll probably end up wanting to put the plastic on a couple miles in or so near the Crescent glacier.

As far as camping at the lunch counter, there are numerous spots snow free... too many to count. We saw people camping all the way froma bout 7,000 to about 9,600, plenty of choices and windbreaks. There seemed to be plenty good camp spots on rock(about a dozen) around the 9,300 foot level or so.

As far as the winter parka's going, I personally only had a polypro long sleeve shirt, a Marmot driclime wind shirt and then a Gore-tex jacket... the Gore-tex never left the pack but would have been nice if the percipitation materialized. I don't think anybody in the group really had too many layers under the jackets in the pictures.. the temperature was pretty comfortable with a polypro t-shirt and just a jacket over. Of course the warmer coat was nice for sitting on the summit for a while in the cool, albeit gentle, breeze. I wouldn't get bogged down with too many layers if you have a decent weather report in sight.

Harm

Very nice photos. I'll be doing that hike in about two weeks. I'm glad to hear that the conditions were good.

Did you find the winter parkas overkill, or were you glad to have them?

Hello capitalist!

It is always very important to carry or wear plastic boot and down parka when hiking on Mt. Adam south side. We must prepare and bring the ten essential.

Thank you for allow communist to post.