What qualifies as a 'summit?'

Kraken

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does and does not qualify as a summit of a mountain?

This is perhaps the most compelling question ever asked on this board. In order to properly answer this question we must first....

paint-a-cat.jpg

and then maybe:

DrawBoard-Dumb.gif

But then again:

Eames_DCMChair.jpg

Thank you for your bravery, and keep on asking those tough questions.

AlpineFox,

HEY ASSHOLE...

I was asking the fucking question because I'm staying at Muir for a week. I am going to climb from Muir to the summit multiple times with different groups in order to get experience so that NEXT year I can be a volunteer ranger.

Still...pricks like you have to take 15 minutes googling up pictures of chairs and cats with clown asses INSTEAD of reading the true question and giving a valid response.

Simple question really...

If i'm at Muir and I climb to the top X times, is it resonable to say that I climbed Rainier X times? OR, is there something else it would be qualified as.

Save us both the time, (You especially with googling up something else) and just don't answer this one.

Prick!

I'm sorry if you felt my post was condescending. I really do think that your question is an important one worthy of hours and hours of:

2072-moron.jpg

Why, you should probably apply for some funding from the AAC to dedicate some real time to this study. After all:

morons.gif

There are many facets to this complicated issue.

for_cir.weird.jpg

If i'm at Muir and I climb to the top X times, is it resonable to say that I climbed Rainier X times ? OR, is there something else it would be qualified as.

What, so you can put it on your expedition shirt and climbing resume? Dan Fido might challenge your times, you know!

If you have to say something say you climbed, say, Routes X, y, and Z - "during a stay on the mountain". Anything else is only necessary if you are out to inflict bruises in your nipple region. Or trying to hit up some windshirt manufacturers for sponsorship. In which case, by all means, hire Uncage The Soul to whore out your "accomplishments" and make a film.

look, you guys are totally taking this the wrong way. Dru, I don't want to embellish my climbing marks, I want to be honest about them.

Say someone says "how many times have you climbed rainier?"

If I have climbed it two times from paradise to summit, and then several months later I climbed to Muir, then stayed there for a week and climbed 3 different routes to the top over that period, what am I to say?

Do I say that I climbed it 3 times and once I was on the mountain for a week doing different routes or do I say taht I climbed it 5 times?

PS, when was the last time you guys got out and did a real climb?

Why does it matter what you tell them? Nobody cares how many times. If its some chica you are trying to impress in a bar, tell her you practically owned the whole mountain. Otherwise just say " a couple times" or " a few times".

What is a "real climb"? Do sitstarts count?

PS, when was the last time you guys got out and did a real climb?

WOW! There is no "off" on your genius switch now is there?

Skyvel%E6r%20og%20micrometer.jpg

Yet another doozy of a dinger of a question from young Mr. Clintoris!

tape_measure.jpg

Now, I'd have to think on that question a bit to give you a real solid answer,

bba_004l.jpg

What with the subjectivity of "real" climbing, the definition of "summits", and of course, the vagaries of the time space continuum,

and all that,

ALL%20VINYL%20TORSO%20TAPE%20MEASURE.JPG

But, I'd wager that: Yes. My dick is bigger than yours.

edit: Because I care about your self esteem, here's a little mantra you can repeat for yourself each time you conquer Mt. Rainier:

self-esteem-poems.jpg

I AM THE GREATEST MOUNTAIN CLIMBER IN THE WORLD!!!

wave.gif

If I have climbed it two times from paradise to summit, and then several months later I climbed to Muir, then stayed there for a week and climbed 3 different routes to the top over that period, what am I to say?

Say:"I have climbed it two times from paradise to summit, and then several months later I climbed to Muir, then stayed there for a week and climbed 3 different routes to the top over that period.",

if you're that concerned.

nah, it really isn't a big deal. I'm just wondering why people work so hard on a message board to put people down. I just don't get it. If this were a face to face conversation, this wouldn't happen.

Is there some CC hierarchy? There shouldn't be. If you're an adult, act like one. It's funny, I see this happening at every message board I post or read on. There are always a few people who look for attention by gooning around and trying to be dicks to people. Why?

If you work so hard to belittle me and a question I don't think is so outragious AlpinFox and Dru, tell me why.

I had respect for you before AlpinFox and even considered you a valuable source for information, but now it's all out the window.

I'm done posting in this thread so hijack it as you like. I think you know though that you are not benefiting anything and at best, being highly immature and degrading these boards as a whole. Think about that for the future.

If this were a face to face conversation, this wouldn't happen.

It's hard to hotlink to images in a face to face conversation. Step down off your high horse and retract the tape measure.

breastfairybook.jpg

One day the magic fairy will visit YOU! laugh.gif

Clintoris, if you were my buddy, I'd give you shit about being so worried about quantifying the number of summits you've done.

I met a guy in Boulder, CO a few months ago who told me, unsolicited, the exact number of "climbs" he's done. I didn't know him, so I didn't point and laugh, but the Internet does offer the distance to do so. It's just the nature of the medium.

I'd go with Dechristo's advice. If someone's really interested, you should have no problem telling them the whole story of how you camped out at Muir and climbed several routes. Sounds like a bitchin' way to do a bunch of climbing. thumbs_up.gif

Clint, the hallmark of maturity is in not taking offense.

It seems you're looking for affirmation in others; either by other's opinions or what you consider to be respectful restraint in their extent of online playfulness.

Lighten-up, in learning to enjoy fun at your own expense, you may learn to enjoy more of it all.

I'm just wondering why people work so hard on a message board to put people down. I just don't get it. If this were a face to face conversation, this wouldn't happen.

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif Naw, you are so wrong, there has been many of time ye ole fox and I have sat around drinking and worked on slamin' each other.

Really though, do you think anyone really cares about what you climb or how many times you climb it or with who or from where or meters you were from the actual summit, jeezs. There is no hierarchy, if anyone asks a dumb question they are going to get dumb responses.

I met a guy in Boulder, CO a few months ago who told me, unsolicited, the exact number of "climbs" he's done. I didn't know him, so I didn't point and laugh, but the Internet does offer the distance to do so. It's just the nature of the medium.

Slothtrop, I think I would have fond it very hard, 1. not to laugh my ass off and 2. not to say "Who freakin' cares?".

Edited by ken4ord

When I climbed Olympus, we didn't do the last 20 vertical feet of the summit block, cuz of lack of rock protection (nor superlative rock skillz).

When I clibmed Hood, we were speculating as to whether that rocky crag over thataway was maybe just maybe taller than the thing we were sitting on.

The two times I climbed St. Helens, we made it to the rim but not to the very highest part ot if. (one time cuz of brutal winter weather, one time cuz of summertime lazyness).

Still in all, I consider all of the above successfull "summitings" of those peaks. standing on theee-very-highest part of the mountain (give/take a few meters) is so relatively unimportant to me, compared to all the other reasons to be up there.

ooo.gifshocked.gifcantfocus.gif

Damn Skippy on this question.........I think this post should be here for a while...

Well, I dont agree with the whole 100 ft down and up thing, but there is a real grey area with regards to going up from Muir, Sherman, or Ing Flats over and over again, and counting it as a "SUMMIT"....Wouldnt you agree Mr Gauthier?????????

ETHICS..................................OR "ethics"...?

I just PM'd Mike to drive an honest answer outta him regarding the whole summit issue.

Here is what I said in my PM...

"There is a wonderful question, and this isnt hate mail, far from it, but YOU ARE BEING CALLED OUT on this subject and you HAVE TO RESPOND....Its over in SPRAY regarding summits........

My quote was....."Damn Skippy on this question.........I think this post should be here for a while...

Well, I dont agree with the whole 100 ft down and up thing, but there is a real grey area with regards to going up from Muir, Sherman, or Ing Flats over and over again, and counting it as a "SUMMIT"....Wouldnt you agree Mr Gauthier?????????".....There you go my work partner".....

Answer back to the public, and dont throw at them what they wanna hear.....now.....the truth, and WE WILL DECIDE WHAT A REAL SUMMIT IS SINCE YOU HAVE "SUMMITED" OVER 200 TIMES, AND DONT GIVE US THAT "HIGH CAMP" CRAP EITHER.

Yo Divot; take a pill. wazzup.gif

You're getting all worked up over the slag heap that is Rainier.

1) According to Klenke a summit has prominence if there is more than 400' vertical between it an a adjoining summit. Therefore if you descend 4000' back to Muir or Sherman you can climb the mountain again and tick another summit.

2) the start of the technical climbing is usually the start of the route. Since most routes on Rain Dog have there technical start above places like Muir then once again you've done another route if you come back to Muir and thus another summit.

3) Who fucking gives a shit. Rainier is just a big pile of shit and the true technical challenges are limited.

4) Mike's a ranger, so he ain't get into a pissing match on the internet with an anonimous dipshit when it might make him look unprofessional to other rangers who read the site

5) Bite me.

wave.gifwave.gif