Mountaineering schools ?

mtnmedic

Any suggestions on a good one ? Im really jonesin'to do something this year. I have climbed a bit at smith 5.7's, did St.Helens and an unsuccessful S.E.ridge route at North Sister due to heavy lightning.I am WFR certified got the gear, time and the drive. My best bro/teacher turned tweeker so im kinda left hangin' at this level.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of organizations in the area offer climbing courses (Boe-Alps, various Mountaineer Branches.) If you've done a reasonable amount of climbing/scrambling, have a few summits, and know the basics (z-pulley's, how to tie off a fallen/injured climber, how not to kill yourself or anyone else.) and are interested in the Mounties you might look into the Basic Equivalency thing and the Intermediate course. (Much better than the Basic class for someone who already has some technical experience, and more focused on leading; trad, easy ice, some rescue methods etc.) Only problem is most of the courses start in the spring, not summer/fall. And while htey get dogged pretty hard on hear, they've got their supporters as well (of whom i'm one.) If you have questions PM me and I can give you some details.

Other option would be to post looking for a partner and volunteer to be a belay slave in exchange for some help learning to lead stuff, or hire a guide? Though I imagine guides get pricy for the amount of time/instruction you get. The course take longer, and progress at a fairly slow pace but net cost is like $250 for the instruction.

I took a couple of courses from Oregon Peak Adventures. Can't entirely endorse them though. If you are the slightest bit experienced, you will be bored too tears (I was anyway).

If you are a complete newb you might find some of their stuff helpful.

Nice enough staff, just seems more aimed at people with no prior experience.

My .02

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, do as I did. Start out small, read, and practice.

I have never taken any course, yet I consider myself knowledgable. Perhaps its because I'm a fearless and immortal 20 year old.

Start small.

Go out hiking. Then go climb a small peak that people do a lot. Hike to Camp Muir. Get a feel and observe things.

Most importantly, read read read!

Suggested books:

Glacier Travel and Crevasse Rescue by Andy Skelters

Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills

Just read books, learn what to do, and practice them.

Taking a course is obviously a better way for lots of people because it gets the hands on experience and you're bound to get practice.

I'm a rebel though so do whatever makes you comfortable!

Good luck!

Books are always a good way to learn. I have a couple of suggestions that I believe are significantly better than the two previously mentioned.

Check out "Alpine Climbing: Techniques to Take You Higher" and "Rock Climbing: Mastering the Basic Skills." Both books were compiled by AMGA Certified Climbing guides who teach climbing for a living as opposed to the people who put together "Freedom of the Hills."

Speaking of the AMGA...if you want to learn safe and effective methods of climbing in a short period of time, the best thing to do is to take an intensive class from a reputable guide service. Most of the three to six day courses offered by different services throughout the northwest are very introductory in nature. You would do better to go with one of the companies that offers intensive twelve or thirteen day courses. Following one of these you should have a very good understanding of what you need to practice and learn in order to climb safely and effectively.

If you don't have the money for a guided course, club classes are cheap and good way to get some basic skills, but be wary. Club instructors are not professional guides and seldom have a similar skill set. Many club instructors lack appropriate experience in teaching and climbing to move club climbers up the skills ladder quickly.

On the other hand, there are a few skilled club instructors in each of the clubs. Unfortunately due to your beginner status, it's hard to tell who these people are. This is part of the reason why taking a course from a guide service is probably the best way to start out.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...