Carney Mountain High Route

Toast

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as direct as taking Leroy creek, but certainly a nice option. A few years back, I climbed Maude (via the regular route) by hiking up Leroy creek (which is steep) and after Maude, I traversed along the high route until it meets the rock creek trail, which takes you back to your car. This makes a beautiful loop trip. Rock creek has lots of switchbacks so it might be easier on your knees on the way down. As I recall, the high route was pretty easy to follow. Don't expect a formal trail the whole way -- it was mostly just game trails and open country. It used to be a sheephearder's route, I believe...

Leroy is 1,000 times better. You can make a loop of it by going out Carne, but the trail part of the Carne end of it blows, it's mass gain, mass switchbacks, no fun. I only went down it and that was more time than I wish I'd spent on it. The trail from Phelps up Leroy on the other hand, is cool.

I'd go in and out Leroy, or in Leroy and out Carne. The high route is mass cool, there is a load of up and down just so you know.

Have fun.

Tony,

Don, Bill, Gary and I did it in Sept. 2003. We chose that route to Maude over Leroy Creek. The trail to Carney directly off of the Phelps Creek Trail was in great shape. Carney was a 20 min. walk from the notch. The trail over to Maude was great also. We ended up going down Leroy on our way out. Good one day trip.