Protecting yourself on CC.com

jon

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to post on Overgrow.com, a website dedicated to MJ cultivation. We were all pretty sketchy, but the site had some good security protocols and was based in canada, which is why it didn't get raided or shut down. Anyway, we used to call federal law enforcement officers LEO, and talk about them as if it was their name. It was funny to see the newbies making posts like "who the hell is LEO?" we all had a good laugh

It makes me wonder how much money (time) I waste on this site.

Sh*t it make you wonder how much time Dru spends on this site doesn't it?

I'm working on that math now, ....lets seee.....hmmm.... if he was making .50 cents an hour posting here.........he'd have......ummm....something like......ahhhhh.... half a billion dollars or so right now., plus or minus a few million I suppose.

Any authorities want to cruise this site to stop a violent criminal act or crap that ruins peoples lives by f*ucked up criminals like identity theft, have at it, I'll send you some extra money to help out if you need it, otherwise, stay our of our bedrooms and living rooms. If I choose to let my 19 year old have a glass of wine at a social function inside of my home and she drinks that alleged glass, I say stay the f*ck out of my life.

Citizens know how to make a phone call and invite the authorities in if any of us want to do so.

____________________________________________-

Disclaimer: wine may or may not have been drunk by or with minors in my home no actual pets were used or harmed in this solicitation your mileage may vary.

I used to post on Overgrow.com, a website dedicated to MJ cultivation. We were all pretty sketchy, but the site had some good security protocols and was based in canada, which is why it didn't get raided or shut down. Anyway, we used to call federal law enforcement officers LEO, and talk about them as if it was their name. It was funny to see the newbies making posts like "who the hell is LEO?" we all had a good laugh

That's whats so great about stoners, they are easy to entertain.

...to stop a violent criminal act or crap that ruins peoples lives by f*ucked up criminals like identity theft, harmed in this solicitation your mileage may vary.

Authorities will do little to stop identity theft because credit card companies profit handsomely from it.

How do you think that works?

...to stop a violent criminal act or crap that ruins peoples lives by f*ucked up criminals like identity theft, harmed in this solicitation your mileage may vary.

Authorities will do little to stop identity theft because credit card companies profit handsomely from it.

Heard it Monday morning on NPR's Morning Edition. Read/listen to the segment here.

In a nutshell...

1. Card holder reports fraudulent charge to CC company.

2. CC company takes money back out of account of merchant. (CC company has two-way access to merchant's account, and can even dictate what level of funds merchant needs to maintain in their own account.)

3. CC company may, or may not, at this point credit the customers account. Technically - except for certain cards under certain conditions - customer is liable for first $50.

4. CC company doesn't investigate, but makes vendor prove the charge was per the CC company terms - which are definitely NOT written to be fair to the vendor.

5. In most cases, vendor will not get money back. In addition, vendor will be charged $25-$30 each time this happens. And no... this doesn't cover the CC company's "time" - their end of it is highly automated.

So... CC company gets to sit on the money in dispute for a month or so plus gets the "chargeback" fee from vendor. Vendor just takes it in the shorts, even if there was no reason to believe a bad transaction.

Yup... the CC companies are inventing new ways of generating income every day. Y'know those "rewards" credit cards you use to earn air miles, cash rebate, REI dividends (gasp), etc? Vendors now have the pleasure of paying a higher rate on the usage of those cards versus the plain jane cards. What started out as an incentive for businesses to issue "store branded" credit cards (because the CC paid part of the reward) has now become an additional revenue stream for them. As a vendor, I have no choice which cards I take - I have to take them all, rewards and no reward cards. But the vendor is the one that foots the bill for your air miles to Mexico.

Sorry... I digress. Hit a sore spot. They're not hurting from cc fraud - that's for sure. The only reason they're worried about it is because people might actually wise up and start limiting their usage of it!

[/ramble]

-kurt

But the vendor is the one that foots the bill for your air miles to Mexico.

Ha, ha.

Nope.

Vendors simply raise prices to cover the cost of business. And who pays these higher prices? Me! I'm footing the bill for my air miles to Mexico.

Thanks Jon,

so, if whisper realllllly quietly, will they still find out about my "shipment" that is being flown in on the 18th of July. Good thing they don't know about the green, 86 chevy custom van that we are using to pick up the "payload". Damn, I'm glad we rented a forklift. "stuff" in that kind of quantity can be a back breaker.

I have become more cunning and will not be hiding it at my house like I use to, no sir E bob. They have storage units for that and no one would ever think to look there, especially the big ones.

So if anyone needs ANYTHING, just beep me as usual.

psssttt! and keep this quiet. I'm sure Johnny Law can't decipher my lingo so everything is cool.

But the vendor is the one that foots the bill for your air miles to Mexico.

Ha, ha.

Nope.

Vendors simply raise prices to cover the cost of business. And who pays these higher prices? Me! I'm footing the bill for my air miles to Mexico.

Ha Ha. Yup - for now.

Sure... vendors that ARE in a position to raise their prices at the drop of a hat will do so to cover their increased expenses. But for most, it'll take a while to see what the increased percentage means.

I believe I know the post you are talking about...a [TR], actually...and I see it has since been "modified". When I read the report a couple weeks ago, my first thoughts were "why the hell is an NPS ranger carrying on with this type of activity in an environment where his/her services might be needed urgently to possibly help save a life? I hope MG sees/checks into this shit."

My second thought was "how the hell could the poster of the [TR] be so s-t-u-p-i-d that he would post such a thing here?"hellno3d.gif

In any event, I'm glad the Fed's took it seriously regardless of how they came about the info. Frankly, if the original report is true, I hope they FIRED that ranger's ass!! If the report was untrue, then said ranger should SUE the climber for slander and the poster of that TR should be BANNED from MRNP for a certain legnth of time.

Edited by Fairweather

This amplifies Jon's point. Be smart and don't post anything on a website that you wouldn't be happy with the entire world reading (especially on a website that is googlebot patrolled, as this one is, I believe).

Even if you're lucky enough to delete your embarassing post later, there's still a good chance that some jerk with a nazi complex will keep bringing it up to make themselves feel "useful".

Ever looked at archive.org? Old websites do not just go down the memory hole.

Darn it, yes they do:

Robots.txt Query Exclusion.

We're sorry, access to http://www.alpinelite.com has been blocked by the site owner via robots.txt.

Read more about robots.txt

See the site's robots.txt file.

Try another request or click here to search for all pages on alpinelite.com/

See the FAQs for more info and help, or contact us.

Truely, I being associated with the forest service and osu forestry, I know a lot of folks who are quite productive and yet still manage to smoke a fair bit of green. Is it really affecting their job? no. the climbing rangers need to have safety meetings too! It's what keeps them sane in the woods all year.