Who takes hummus climbing with them??

undermind

I'm just thinking about alternatives to the power bar lunch diet on an extended trip.

I'm spending a week on Baker's Easton Glacier, and want something different to eat for lunch. Often it's cold enough to keep things "refigerated", but I'm not sure what elevation I'll be at, and the temperatures I'll encounter.

Hummus ingredients don't seem terribly perishable on their own..

What other interesting food tips do you guys have for something a little different? I'm not looking to do any cooking, and in fact, I'm not even bringing any dishes or anything..

Thanks..

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, for a week camped on a glacier, you can afford a lot of suffering on the way up, in terms of weight. Hummus works well (instant mix or fresh), as do a lot of other "semi-refridgerated" things. Basically, even if it gets really hot out there during the day, wrap whatever needs to stay cold in a fleece and bury it in your pack, sleeping bag, etc until nighttime cools things down again (you'll need your warm layers back then!). BEWARE nosy marmots chewing holes in your things to find the food, though!!

Other things to bring - fresh fruit/veggies! Smoked tofu, those premade Tasty Bites (not as exciting cold), refried beans/tortillas, pita & nut butter... sorry, no non-vegetarian options from me. Have fun!

i often take powdered hummus (buy it in bulk at natural food stores) in a ziplock bag. add water to the bag, shake, tear off one corner and squeeze out onto crackers/bread (like putting frosting on a cake). no mess, no cleanup. usually wouldn't go to this much trouble on a climb, but on hiking approach days, it's nice to have something to look forward to when you take a break.

I'm spending a week on Baker's Easton Glacier....... Often it's cold enough to keep things "refigerated"
If you're going to be camped in one spot, you can do what I've done a couple times in that situation and build a group refrigerator. We just made a sloppily-constructed small igloo and it worked great. Build something out of snow blocks, or dig a small cave. Not at all hard to come up with something that will keep things from spoiling.

one time I tried the so call "Hummus" you get here in the USA and that shit is NASTY!!!

since then I make it from scratch like mama did (grewup in the middle east). the only brand that sale good hummus, here in the US (and many other veriaty of middle estern salads), is SABRA and u can find it at the QFC at the U village or the Albertson in mercer island. my personal favorit is te chummus style. cheeburga_ron.gif

For a change from Carbs to protein, you might try the starkist tuna that now comes in a foil pouch instead of the can. less water and easier to pack in and out. Also comes in several "flavors" cheeburga_ron.gif

Yeah, I was thinking about those. They're no heavier than a power bar, and can provide a meal if you bring along a couple mayo, mustard, and relish packets and throw it in a tortilla. They even put clams and other stuff in those foil pouches.

Steal the one serving plastic containers at restaurants with Ketchup. jelly and mayo. For some reason that stuff lasts forever and is perfect for adding some flavor. Maybee you can buy it somewhere but I never seen it in a store.

I also want you to be aware of the risk I am taking by telling you this. Breaking the law

I take it along and love it!! Holds up pretty good to heat. put it inside your clothes and it should hold up great. I use it as my mountain mayonaise/mustard. A little tuna or chicken and cheeze and a blob of the stuff does the trick. Thats just me though....who the hell really knows