Best sunscreen and where to get it ???

undermind

I usually use Neutrogena Sport SPF 45, which is great, but I'm wondering if there's something better for glacier travel.

I'm spending a week on the snow on Baker next week, and I know I'll roast.. Anything higher SPF? And where do I get zinc oxide for my nose?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aloe Gator is good sunscreen and isn't very greasy which is nice.

Sunscreen ain't gonna help you for multiple days on a glacier. You need direct blockage of sun rays via hat, bandana, etc.

Zinc oxide works pretty well though.

Zinc Oxide can be found at REI, or most drugstores. If you want a shitload of zinc oxide for cheap, buy some diaper rash ointment. moon.gifblush.gif Seriously.

I now have enough zinc oxide for the next 46,000 years and so far I haven't gotten any diaper rash on my lips or nose.

If you are going to spend multiple days on a glacier, I'd consider wearing a turban. I use a triangular bandage tucked under a ball cap. It'll cover your neck and ears and forhead if you just let it hang, or you can tie it under your chin, babushka style, and it'll close off much of the sun to your face as well.

I love that guy!

That's Slothrop! wave.gif

Yeah, isn't there a Budlight Real Men of Genius radio commercial for this, "Mr. SPF 50 Wear-er-er!" yelrotflmao.gif

Seriously, unless you are REALLY sensitive to the sun, SPF 30 is more than enough (put on 3-4 times a day). Add SPF 30 Chapstick and invest in some good quality Julbo Sunglasses and you're good. Beyond that, just deal with it and have a great time. A week in the sun on a mountain does not Melanoma make.

My favorite is Dermatone Z-cote, been using it a number of years now. It uses zinc oxide to create a physical block as opposed to a chemical block. Thus, it is supposedly better for you and lasts longer. It also doesn't burn your eyes as others do when you've worked up a good sweat. There is also a nice application of it that comes in a tin for your face and lips. It is sold at REI and most mountain shops.

As previously posted, I highly recommend the sun hat as pictured; wouldn't go without it myself. When you're out that much good goggles aren't a bad idea either for better protection.

A week on Baker sounds great ... have a good trip and be safe!

Fair enough, undermind, but don't let your sense of style, or the style-nazi's on cc.com, prevent you from taking care of yourself.

I wouldn't advocate buying a special hat like that one because I believe my more improvised garb actually works better, is more versatile, and also more comfortable, but you gotta admit that the guy with the Arabian cavalry hat and the giant sunglasses is pretty awesome!

Wear what you want, and be sure to dress in red for the photo's, but be sensible. Hell: shorts over polypro are actually a damn practical way to dress for lots of mountaineering around here, but if you read this site you "won't be caught dead in 'em." Gaitors have been known to help, too.

For a day trip, I would use sunscreen. If you are going to spend several days successively on a glacier in the sun, you'll have to be pretty diligent about the screen to avoid getting fried if you're like me. I have better success keeping covered.

Yes Undermind, I too must insist that you reconsider your stance on the hat. I don't know how much experience you have with sun and snow, but the consequences of not protecting yourself can be severe! Besides, the hat may not be a particularly strong fashion statement, but a week on Baker shouldn't be a fashion show. The sun hat or an approach like mattp's provides good protection. Also, remember to apply the sunscreen in your nostrils as well, they can get burned too.

If you're dead set against the flap-happy hat, then at least take a bandana and stick it under a baseball cap - you'll get the same effect. Plus, you can wet down the bandana and it'll do a fine job of cooling you off in your glacial oven.

Also, don't assume that polypro will give you all-day protection on the legs. I've got some thin polypro that I've gotten a sunburn through.

-kurt

Wow! I was only kidding about the hat!

I shall never say bad things about the hat again.

I'd wear a paper bag with 2 eye holes if I had to. Bad burns are a nightmare. I've got an OR Seattle Sombrero that's got an unusually large brim. And I mean large compared to other Seattle Sombreros.. Then maybe a bandana on the neck, and plenty of sunscreen on the face for snow reflection. And polypro's on the hands..

If I was you I would be more worried about what type of rain gear to bring. Heres hoping for some summer high pressure, bigdrink.gif but it doesnt look like its here yet

from the national weather service:

ANOTHER UPPER TROUGH

WILL SETTLE OVER THE REGION SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY FOR MOSTLY

CLOUDY SKIES...A CHANCE OF SHOWERS...AND SLIGHTLY BELOW NORMAL

HIGHS. SCHNEIDER

looks like showers straight through Wednesday