[TR] Mt Gardner And North Gardner- South side of Gardner&South East side of N Gardner 6/11/2005

Animal

Climb: Mt Gardner And North Gardner-South side of Gardner&South East side of N Gardner

Date of Climb: 6/11/2005

Trip Report:

I left Bremerton after work on Friday night June 10th, and scum bagged it in the back of my car near Mazama. I left the trailhead at 6:00 AM on June 11th heading to Gardner Meadows with intentions on reaching the summit of Gardner and spending the night on the top. Wow! Next thing I knew it was 1:00 PM and I was standing on top of Gardner with stunning views in all directions and some clouds whisking off the North side of the peak. Since it was still early I decided to descend down the North West side of Gardner via a long snow slope to the north facing basin between Gardner and North Gardner. I picked a chute on North Gardner to ascend that basically headed up the East face of North Gardner bringing me couple hundred feet south of the summit. It was nice to take some time relaxing after just ascending approximately 7,900 vertical feet from the trailhead. At about 3:30 PM I was chased off the mountain by am approaching snow squall. I followed the south ridge from North Gardner to the small south knob, and descended down the scree to Gardner Meadows, ready for a good nights sleep.

In summation, the peaks were two awesome mountains, and if I knew I would have accomplished them in the same day, I think I would have opted to not haul all of my camping gear, tent, all my food, etc. to the summit of both mountains. I highly recommend these two high peaks if you are up for a good class 3 scramble.

Gear Notes:

Just an Ice Ax, brought crampons, but did not need.

Approach Notes:

The trail to Gardner Meadows was in great shape.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey dude, I was the slow as hell guy you so enthusiastically chased down in the scree on South Gardner before we made it up that one. I was kind of beat after already doing the North peak but I guess I had it easy compared to you since we had camped the night before!

Good seeing you out there buddy! That is a cool area to go out and check out, not really on the way to any other objectives for sure.

How was the deli? The burgers at the Duck Brand are massive!

bigdrink.gif