Trango S Evo GTX

EJohnson

Last week I picked up a pair to replace my dying Trango Ice. I got in two outing with the new boots, one was moderately-steep NE couloir on Sherpa & the other was a hike up Daniel.

The boots are very comfortable right out of the box. They hike well, climb snow good and rock even better.

Couple of problems I do have with the boots are; Waterproofness & longevity

During both hikes I was wearing gaiters and I literally rung out my socks. I'm doubting there is goretex liner in boots.

Longevity issue has to do with the soles. The rubber is soft and is already showing visable ware. I might get two seasons before replacing.

thumbs_up.gif up for comfort & thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif down for waterproofness

Erick

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

During both hikes I was wearing gaiters and I literally rung out my socks. I'm doubting there is goretex liner in boots.

Damn. That's too bad. I just bought a pair and haven't had a chance to use them yet, but I specifically got the Evo cuz of the goretex and because I knew the older non-goretex versions were not even remotely waterproof.

Maybe REI will be getting another return from me? frown.gif

Damn. That's too bad. I just bought a pair and haven't had a chance to use them yet, but I specifically got the Evo cuz of the goretex and because I knew the older non-goretex versions were not even remotely waterproof.

Maybe REI will be getting another return from me? frown.gif

I would suggest waiting to return them until you try for yourself. I slogged through some mushy snow for a couple of days, postholing regularly, and my feet stayed very dry in these boots.

I will say that durability is an issue as I have already noticed some wear and tear, but not enough to return them in my opinion. For me personally, the comfort and climbing ability of these boots trumps their durability issues. I almost always get blisters while hiking, yet after 50+ miles in these boots I have yet to have one.

Longevity issue has to do with the soles. The rubber is soft and is already showing visable ware. I might get two seasons before replacing.

Seems like Vibram should not be a problem to resole. Any insights ? I should email Dave Page perhaps.