Kautz Glacier Clinic!!!!

tjscott

(was RE: Rainier etc... see this old thread for background)

I like the idea of doing this on the Kautz. If we are starting from Comet Falls TH we may need to do some car shuttling or else get there super early. That pull off fills up quick. I've been up that way three times this spring, though I didn't go near the lower Kautz, which I think is what Divot has in mind.

<TR ramble>

I went up the Van Trumps to the Turtle to Camp H. The first two times I got shut down there by weather (first time waking up at Camp H to whiteout and snow, second time similar weather moved in after I had climbed through the night under clear skies). Third time was the charm. Nine hours round trip from 7600' on the Van Trumps on May 29. Skied off the summit. Had to downclimb a hundred feet of the upper Kautz. BTW if anyone wants to do Fuhrer Finger...?

</TR ramble>

Okay, Divot, Whidbey, Big E, everyone. June 25-26 works for sure. I might be able to make July 2-3 work also. July 16-17 maybe. July 23-24 definitely. Divot, I can carry all the heavy stuff. And I'd be happy to hike out with anyone who can only do the first day, or hike down the second morning and meet anyone coming in for just the second day...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome!! thanks TJ/Divot. if there's any total newbies, I can help with the teaching some... throw in my three cents here and there as need be. I'd consider myself an "advanced newbie". grin.gif

I'm definitely up for one day, either the 25th or 26 .. will probably decide by next Tuesday, based on which day the majority of the day-trippers want to go on. or i might be up for both, we'll see.

I've got a 50m dry rope I can bring too... will hafta dust the cobwebs off it tho. blush.giflaugh.gif

I will be at Longmire WIC 8:00AM Saturday, June 25, to register. Look for a white Subaru wagon, WA lic 531-JSX.

We shouldn't need to make advance reservations for the Kautz; if someone else knows better, please let me know. Anyone who does not have a climbing perm will need to buy one for (I think) $30.

I hope to see a few of you there. Try to be on time. I'd like to get up to Comet Falls TH no later than 9:00AM - it fills up early on the weekends. If you plan to attend, post a reply so we know who/how many to expect. Thanks. Looking forward to it. -tjs

Edited by tjscott

holishit... I just looked at the map finally. Comet Falls TH is at about like 3500 feet. shocked.gif

any other day-trippers who'd rather drive up the extra 2000 ft to Paradise? cool.gif

I've only set up the Z-pulley once before, but I'd think you don't really need a sooper high angle slope to do it.. could even find stuff on or near the Camp Muir route. (no?) I mean, I dunno, I guess a real crevasse is better, for the whole experience of it,.... but even just practicing the the mechanics of it would be enuf.

Only time i've set one up before was next to Paradise parking lot, one winter a few yrs ago when there were 30 foot snow walls next to it. .... sigh.... miss them big-snow-wall winters.

If you guys don't mind another newbie tagging along I would love to come. I did crevasse rescue back in december but want to review it again. Would be my first time to Rainier as I am from the east coast. If I can tag along could someone email me exactly where to meet you guys? I'd be there for both days. Thanks Tim

Another two-dayer - Great! If Divot is up for an overnight on the Kautz, I am gonna push for this. This is the only way I see everyone getting the kind of repetition that makes this worthwhile.

Longmire is seven miles into Rainier NP from the Nisqually entrance. The National Park Inn, Longmire Museum, and Wilderness Information Center are all near the road. If you drive just past the Inn and Museum (nearest the road) and take the very next right, the WIC will be straight ahead to the left of the road you've turned onto. If these inarticulate directions fail, walk in any building and ask for the WIC.

so you work nights or somethin, Gordon?

yeah i'm still up for it ... I really really want to go in fact... but like i said in that email I'm feeling like i might be coming down with a cold (seriously). feels like a pretty mild cold, so chances are 99% i'll still want to go, but ... travel w/me at yer own risk. tongue.gif

who else is in?

Divot? ... what's the deal? you fa real? smile.gif

Then why the hell don't we just set it up for the 9-10 of july then!!!!!! That way i know i get to spend more than the day and can have work all worked out;) This sounds like a plan to me. I don't give a crap if i don't need to practice or not... i just want to meet some of my fellow peeps on cascadeclimbers.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hell ya! let me know

Edited by whidbey

well the little cold thing was a 24 hr false alarm (i think maybe temporary allergies from having moved to a new cubicle maybe??) ... like dust and other cooties from the former inhabitant. tongue.gif

anyway... i'm ready for Saturday... and then maybe Baker one of them next couple weekends!! O-O-o-o-snugtop.gif

will send email soon. .... Gordon, check yer voice mail!!