Best Snow Anchors fer Tents

mattyg

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you these are bomber, light-weight, strong and free. Even dirt bag climbers can afford them to anchor their Biblers. WildOatsFrontEnd.jpg

I've found liquor store bags are best as they're nice and tough. Double bag them, wrap some duct tape around each handle and tie a short piece of 3mil cord between the handles and you'll be set.

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that not all grocery bags are created equal. The bags from the higher end grocery stores, like wild oats, are much stronger than the bags from Safeway. The weight however is insignificant between the two. Go for the quality stuff from the high-end stores.

Having recently lost a $500 tent to the winds I can testify that aluminum snow stakes don't work well in icy conditions. Now I use pickets, ice axes, big rocks, and plastic bags. In typical winter weather, where the snow is wet and/or soft, it seems that peeing on anchors can freeze them in tight. Just don't try that at home and be sure to aim carefully.