New climbing trip car

korntera

I just wanted to get everybodys opinion on a good car for climbing. I currently have a 1996 toyota land cruiser, but it polutes way to much and uses to much gas plus it has a lot of miles. I am looking for a car only, not a wagon, that has sufficient room for 3 packs, 3 sleeping bags and 3 people, i want the car to be fun and fast AWD or good snow handling is a must. So far i am thinking a subaru WRX, any other ideas?

EDIT: Price has to be under 17K, no RX hyrbrids, hummers or school buses please.

Edited by korntera

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far i am thinking a subaru WRX, any other ideas?

After doing numerous winter trips in a Sub WRX with 3 climbers and ice packs + camping gear this past winter, and casually hitting 100+mph speeds more times than I can count, I can unequivocably say this vehicle will meet your needs!

I have a WRX. It's fast and fun, and handles perfectly in the snow, I love it. I've never tried putting 3 people and full alpine packs in it, but I think there is enough room. I took a trip up to Whistler once with 4 people and all their gear, and it was pretty comfortable.

FWIW, there have definitely been times I wish I had the wagon though, it would make sleeping in the car much nicer, and would unquestionably have enough room for 3 and gear.

31/27 mpg city/highway

rolleyes.gif A 98 4-cyl 4Runner gets the same gas mileage as this car, for a third the cost.

Yeah, 4 cyl 4 runners are the shanzz when new, but the older the engine, the less compression (mine at least) -- the is very little power to lose on these things, my 1990 isn't strong enough to fully load up with 4 people and gear and still go anywhere on the highway . . . maybe the 3rd generation 4cyl engine has more power confused.gif

Though I do get 2x the mileage as my buddy's V8 cool.gif

really? when I saw it at the auto show it had front and rear winches but I have seen one in a showroom and it doesnt come with winches but it does have a bunch of other stuff, like lockers front and rear, 4 low and low gears, limited slip..

stuff defentily not found on the element

FWIW, there have definitely been times I wish I had the wagon though, it would make sleeping in the car much nicer, and would unquestionably have enough room for 3 and gear.

Impreza's are only for sleeping if you are 5'6" or below.

The midget mountaineer market is huge for Lesbarus.