CCW Chaos vs. Arc Teryx Needle 65

montanapup

Looking for an alpine pack for extended overnighters. I've looked at the AT but no one carries the CCW. Anyone have any experience with either of the two? Way I see it, if I can get the CCW providing fit is right, beats paying for a Rolls Royce of the pack world. Any help/advice is appreciated! bigdrink.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCW is a very nice pack. My torso length may be the issue, but when I'm climbing steep terrain teh top lid hits my helmet and is bothersome. I think just trimming the bivy will solve.

This pack is nice, but did make me finally realize that i like framed packs for carry any kind of weight.

not a fan of tool tubes either...

Looking for an alpine pack for extended overnighters. I've looked at the AT but no one carries the CCW. Anyone have any experience with either of the two? Way I see it, if I can get the CCW providing fit is right, beats paying for a Rolls Royce of the pack world. Any help/advice is appreciated! bigdrink.gif

I have 3 CCW packs including the Chaos. Love it. I've special ordered all mine directly from the company though since they do free custom modifications. Then pay shipping, no tax. I don't like tool tubes either and got the regular attachment system on my Chernobyl. I've never had a problem carrying heavy loads with it, but then again I don't like to carry much.... Nevertheless, I may try this plastic frame sheet idea for the Chaos. where do you find such a place?

by they way, FF in seattle carries CCW packs.

I have 3 CCW packs including the Chaos. Love it. I've special ordered all mine directly from the company though since they do free custom modifications. Then pay shipping, no tax. I don't like tool tubes either and got the regular attachment system on my Chernobyl. I've never had a problem carrying heavy loads with it, but then again I don't like to carry much.... Nevertheless, I may try this plastic frame sheet idea for the Chaos. where do you find such a place?

by they way, FF in seattle carries CCW packs.

Dustin, the place I went to here in Portland is called TAP Plastics. They seem to sell all kinds of plastic stuff, plexiglass, as well as fiberglass items/supplies. I don't know if TAP is a chain, but if you look for that kind of thing in the yellow pages, you might find something up there in WA. I just borrowed the guy's tape measure, gave him the dimensions, and he cut it to fit. I think they had the HDPE in a couple of different thicknesses. Hope that helps ya out.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the chaos on Denali et al this year and it performs. Have to get used to the bottom pulls for the shoulder adjustments. Removed the bivy pad it came with and inserted my z rest 3/4. Used the z rest and new prolite 3, 3/4. Worked great. Custom ordered without the crampon pouch and added shock cord. I don't have a problem with the carry.

Can you folks with the CCW Chaos tell me if there are straps at the bottom of the pack for a sleeping mat or tent? I like having the option of rolling something up and storing it down there although it seems out of fashion lately.

No straps on the bottom. I can't say I've ever seen a climbing pack with those, but you could certainly have them add those to the pack. IMO, storing something on the bottom of the pack would really get in the way. I'd rather have it anywhere else than on the bottom. Top, sides, and back all seem like a better place to strap somthing on. But to each, his own. thumbs_up.gif