Cascade Trifecta completed in Record 28 Hours

UTS

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

continued...

The Seattle Trifecta was documented and verified by officials from moundainspeedclimbing.com. The moundainspeedclimbing team consisted of Fido's imagination. The team verified departure and summit times, took no photographs or video footage, and assisted the climbers with route finding, but offered no additional climbing or transportation support.

Fido, organizer of the moundainspeedclimbing team, was not impressed with their athletic accomplishment, but admired the attitude with which the climbers approached the Trifecta. “Even though they had this goal of doing the Trifecta as fast as they could, you never got the impression that this was their top priority. It was to have fun, and enjoy the experience. These two things would not be compromised for the sake of shaving off a couple of minutes from their overall time. They were very interactive and social with our team, stopping frequently to talk, snap photos, and express their appreciation for our efforts. But I did it in 14 hours."

Mundanespeedclimbing.org would like to report another speed ascent.

On Wednesday, my partner Dan attempted several speed ascents on the slopes of an unnamed peak (5800') from 5750' to 5780'. Though he battled poor visibility and wet ground, his fastest time was 9.8 seconds.

I have a few things to say regarding the comments about

our "Cascades Trifecta".

(1) "Uncage The Soul" contacted us unsolicited and said

they wanted to film our little adventure. We had no formal

agreement with them other than to allow them to use our

images, etc. No money changed hands.

We (the climbers) spent money on this adventure because

we wanted to do it for fun. We don't expect to make

anything much off it, certainlly not enough to cover

expenses. UTC does want to make money --

that's what they do.

(2) Doing Rainier, Adams and Hood together should make

sense to anyone who has stood on the summit of any of these

peaks on a clear day. The other two dominate the view.

They are the three biggest volcanos in the area. Also,

St. Helens is currently closed.

(3) Again, we did this for fun and for the challenge.

I'm sure that other people can, and probably will, do this

link up faster. Great! Now that we have done it ourselves

I'm sure we could go faster, though I'm sure we will not

try it again.

(4) I'm amazed by the negativity of the NW climbing scene!

Here in Colo we climb peaks, run trails, have a good time,

share our stories. We're laid back, like to be in the

mountains, love to hear what others are doing. What's

the deal out there????!!!!

Peter

pbakwin@comcast.net

First off - thanks for braving the abuse and actually posting your point of view here. It's much better to hear your story first-hand rather than having everyone speculate about your motives.

Edited by jon

i don't think the negativity was being flung directly at you. sometimes thread drift makes it seem that the original post is the target when in fact the target is something else entirely.

i'm impressed you stayed awake long enough to finish. i probably would've been ready for a nap and a beer after 1 let alone 3 of those peak.

Edited by jon

Honestly Peter, when you read the hyperbole from UTS, doesn't it make you just a wee bit uncomfortable? Sure, it's not you doing the histrionic handwaving and declaiming, but it is about you, so the connection is unavoidable.

I'm sure CO climbers are a part of the same meta-slacker culture common in the rest of the country. We all enjoy various aspects of the climbing game, but if one gets all hopped up and self important about it, the other monkeys are going to fling poo at you. If you were to post the same "release" on Supertopo or Rockclimbing.com I'm sure you'd get just as much grief. The bombast is better suited to National Geographic than sprayed about at some digital climbers bonfire.

I'm glad you did something here you're proud of. I hope you'll come back and climb some of the good stuff too, you'd find this site a great source of information, recommendations, and even climbing partners. No one here is going to deny you're fast and fit (though some may be able to keep up), but the "trifecta" is a wee bit like setting a blistering speed record for hiking up Longs, Pike, and Hallet via their trails: theoretically impressive yet hardly emblematic of climbing in Colorado.

Edited by jon

I have a few things to say regarding the comments about

our "Cascades Trifecta"...

(4) I'm amazed by the negativity of the NW climbing scene!

Here in Colo we climb peaks, run trails, have a good time,

share our stories. We're laid back, like to be in the

mountains, love to hear what others are doing. What's

the deal out there????!!!!

Peter

Peter,

As one of the many poo-slingers, I felt compelled to respond.

First, hats off to getting out there and doing what you've been wanting to do. Nothing wrong with speed-whatevering (as a personal challenge) in my book, if that's what floats your boat. Personal challenges are great ways of expanding that comfort zone that all of us tend to fall back on.

I'm glad to hear you did this for your own enjoyment, and that you aren't encumbered with our local speedclimbing issues focusing on Rainier. I'm glad that you finally posted your side of the story.

However, by giving UTS the rights to do whatever they want with their documentation of your personal challenge, seems like you're allowing them to drag your name into whatever muck they see fit. And whether you like it or not, the fact that How.itt is using YOUR name like he's affiliated with you will cloud people's feelings about the climb. You have to admit that the press release that started all this hullabalu comes off a bit commercial and self-promoting for a personal challenge. But you're right - UTS is in it to make money... at your expense.

For that reason, I don't quite see why the surprise of "the negativity of the NW climbing scene"... if that's what you want to call this forum. Sure - there are always two sides to a story, but when you've pretty much given someone else free reign to tell "your side" then it's pretty one sided and open to criticism.

But again, thanks for telling "your side."

-kurt

I say .. congratulations. Sounds like a hell of a trip.

Furthermore, I'd ignore 98% of the fuck-tards on this website. This site used to be a great source of info, but has evolved over the years into a sad collection of "climbers" who would rather talk out of their necks than climb a mountain or offer any kind of relevant information. And like the Cobra_Commander said, I wouldn't say this website represents the NW climbing scene at all. I've NEVER met anyone in person in the cascades who condescends, ridicules, or even talks down to me or anyone who I've been climbing with. But read this site and you'll see it 25 times per thread. It boils down to being an internet thing where there is no such thing as accountability for one's statements and actions.

As suspected it is UTS that are the real tools here. I would think twice about letting them profit from yoru little adventure.

I have lived nearly the past year in CO and grew up in WA and I can say that the people are pretty much the same. Most nice, some jerks smile.gif The only thing more laid back in CO is the mountains themselves. T-minus 8 days and then back in the Cascades! Yah! wave.gifbigdrink.gif

I say .. congratulations. Sounds like a hell of a trip.

Furthermore, I'd ignore 98% of the fuck-tards on this website. This site used to be a great source of info, but has evolved over the years into a sad collection of "climbers" who would rather talk out of their necks than climb a mountain or offer any kind of relevant information. And like the Cobra_Commander said, I wouldn't say this website represents the NW climbing scene at all. I've NEVER met anyone in person in the cascades who condescends, ridicules, or even talks down to me or anyone who I've been climbing with. But read this site and you'll see it 25 times per thread. It boils down to being an internet thing where there is no such thing as accountability for one's statements and actions.

Dan, is that you?

Furthermore, I'd ignore 98% of the fuck-tards on this website. This site used to be a great source of info, but has evolved over the years into a sad collection of "climbers" who would rather talk out of their necks than climb a mountain or offer any kind of relevant information.

Perhaps you could offer relevant information. In 46 posts you've sprayed politics, slammed people for using fixed lines, and mocked others.

...I've NEVER met anyone in person in the cascades who condescends, ridicules, or even talks down to me or anyone who I've been climbing with. But read this site and you'll see it 25 times per thread. ...

Hmm. Guess you've never worn shorts over polypro, or had a rope on your pack considered too long/too fat for the route you're heading in to. Those seem to be the smart-ass comment magnets for me in the woods. While those comments definitely do NOT represent the majority of people out there, they're still out there - trust me. grin.gif