Cascade Trifecta completed in Record 28 Hours

UTS

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jonah,

There are plenty of local PNW climbers who have been yelled at too for being too boastful (or being perceived as such) about their accomplishments. Wayne's post about the Pickets Traverse with Colin and Marko, for example.

The original post did come across to me as either a little boastful or meant to chase after sponsorships/zines. Most in-a-day efforts here are done out of curiousity if it can be done or because one has only so much time to sneak away from work, the wife, or the bottle. There is no real sense of competition, aside from improving your own times, and no one really cares much about records.

Most of us look at speed as not the ends but the means to the ends (i.e. you don't speedclimb in the Valley to set records (unless you're breaking your buddy's record) but to be able to go to Patagonia/Greenland/Baffin and rack up the FA/FFAs, or in Chad Kellogg's case, speedclimbs on Rainier and Denali to prepare him for the Himalaya). Hans Florine gave a show here a few years ago, and it did seem to have a slight flair of arrogance and contrivance to it. That's also why we're so pissed off at Dan fido. Making speed the end-all, and officiating it, is a bastardization of our sport, regardless of the fact that his pants are on fire.

I have raced with Buzz .

So Jonah, what kind of vehicle did you race in, a mini van?

I also know that none of you have done what they did, nor could you, and all your griping makes you seem jealous and childish.

Well, you probably are faster driving than someone from Washington, everyone knows coloradans, utahs, and idahons drive faster that us.

Fido can't keep from dropping his name. From his mountainspeedclimbing.org,

"Their speed link-up was thoroughly timed by John Waller and others, who was Dan fido's 2003 Mt Hood summit timer. fido and USA Mountain Speed Climbing were responsible connecting Waller and Burrell/Bawkin together. Burrell and Bawkin are distinguished mountain athletes"

A few years ago some of my paragliding friends dreamed up what they called the "Fly-90 Challenge", which was to hike up and fly their paragliders off as many peaks along I-90 as possible in one day. My friend managed (as I remember) Granite, Bandera, Si, and Tiger (Poo Poo Point) in one day. He wrote up an entertaining story about it that appeared in the Northwest Paragliding Club newsletter.

These days people aren't into hike-and-fly's as much. Glider performance has gotten better and pilots have gotten bolder and cross-country flying is the thing. A couple of times now paragliders have FLOWN all the way from Tiger Mountain, near Issaquah, up I-90 and over Snoqualmie Pass, most recently about a month ago.

Hi Jonah,

There are plenty of local PNW climbers who have been yelled at too for being too boastful (or being perceived as such) about their accomplishments. Wayne's post about the Pickets Traverse with Colin and Marko, for example.

Yeah, but being the first to traverse the southern pickets is a far cry from slogging up three horribly boring routes in what you claim is record time and then posting on some website where you know nobody under the heading "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE". I'm sure they are both cool guys, and if I ever seem the around time I would give them a thumbs_up.gif for their accomplishment, but the whole post and naming of this accomplishment is pretty stupid.

I have done this before and have documentation, but they beat my record of 2 years, 7 months, and 14 days.

Hey you beat me! My time was 2 years, 9 months and 17 days, but then I did the Emmons Glacier route which is longer.

I would be happy to see someone take skis and destroy these times. I know there are ski-mountaineers/rando-racers who could decimate this record. No need for glacier gear so the weight would not be much, and best of all, 30-minute descents (if that)!

I also think it would be way more cool if someone biked between the mountains, combining randonuering and peak-slogging. I wouldn't expect a one-day push but the accomplishment would be so much more pure, especially if you carried everything with you on the bike.

Also, coming from living at high altitude to tag the Cascades is pretty weak. I am less impressed due to the fact that they came out from Colorado.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Seattle Trifecta Completed in Record 28 Hours

Back-to-back climbs of Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, and Beacon Hill, dubbed the Seattle Trifecta, were accomplished in a record 28 hours and 1 minute by two low- endurance athletes (and 27,000 vehicles). Snugtop, 28, and TheJiggler, 32, departed the 65th Street Park & Ride at 2:42 AM, June 9th, and arrived at the Space Needle, after climbing the standard routes of Queen Anne Hill, Capitol Hill, and Beacon Hill, and driving by car between each of the three mounds. Capitol/First Hill (520 ft. from Volunteer Park water towner summit), Queen Anne (450 ft.) and Beacon Hill (407 ft.) are the three highest mounds in the Seattle range. Accomplishing the feat required Snugtop and TheJiggler to traverse 12 miles and step on 6 pieces of dog shit.

...continued...

A link-up of Capitol/First Hill, Queen Anne Hill, and Beacon Hill in a single effort has never before been documented. The effort by Snugtop and TheJiggler is a newly established moundaineering speed record. Adverse weather and traffic conditions on Capitol Hill and I-5 slowed the climbers considerably from their planned schedule. In one instance, TheJiggler fell into a Starbucks on Queen Anne Hill upon the collapse of good judgement and will power. TheJiggler was able to extract himself from the Starbucks. Both were well-equipped and skilled moundaineers.

“We had hoped to go under 24 hours,” said TheJiggler, “but we know that would be very hard, and conditions were not optimal, especially on Capitol Hill where we had to move slowly to stay safe.” He added, “The trip was especially unrewarding for me, since I do part of this drive every day."