Looking for photos

Mark_Husbands

I'm putting together a brief report on "crowding" issues on DC and Emmons. If anyone is willing to provide photos (and permission) that might illustrate busy camp conditions, congestion at various points on the route, or other concerns please PM me; I can provide email address. It would be a big help. If anyone has any questions about the study I'd also be happy to respond to a PM.

Thanks,

Mark Husbands

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got a line up of about 50 people...but it was a climb for clean air event....not sure if it's ok to use? Check the alaw website...they have all kinds of pictures of their ENORMOUS groups that they bring up the mt. Paul Taylor is typically the guy behind the camera. PM me with your e-mail and I'll send you what I got.

-M

The report is on an survey of DC and Emmons climbers last summer. It reports their responses to a variety of questions about the conditions they encountered while climbing. There is no "agenda", nor an argument for regulation or a reduction in permit numbers.

Just out of curiousity - was this survey done on random days during the summer or over the course of the whole summer? Can't say I remember anybody asking me any questions.

If you're report is unbiased, also curious why you're only interested in shots of crowded routes.

Just the cynic side coming out,

kurt

We sampled during four weeks in July and August. Because of the expense of paying a survey worker to be present, we couldn't contemplate sampling all summer..either a census or a random sample. So we structured our sample to include weekends and weekdays to capture a range of use levels during peak season. We wanted to do June but there were hangups with research review boards. Sorry we didn't hit your week.

Our study only focused on Emmons, DC, (and to a limited degree Kautz) during peak season. So I'm only interesed in photos representing those routes. No conclusions will be made about other routes or non-peak season times. Nor will it be insinuated that a photo representing a busy period on the mountain is representative of all periods on the mountain.

Hope that helps. If you want more detailed info PM me.

Thanks for the info Mark.

I'm not bummed about missing out on answering a bunch of questions when the only thing on my mind would be getting back to the car! Glad to hear you looked at overall usage by including both weekday and weekends - that's all I was fishing for.

I'll look through my stuff, but I don't think I have much in the way of crowd shots. We've been lucky to find days in the past that have had minimal traffic while being gorgeous days! A few years back we were the only ones on the Emmons route at the end of June on a cloudless day! Doesn't get much better than that.

Good luck,

kurt

Well, we knew nobody wants to answer questions at the mountain, so we contacted folks when they got permits, then they answered questions online AFTER their climb.

I've climbed Rainier twice (Emmons in April before 410 opened, and Gib Ledges in March) and on neither occasion were there any other parties climbing (and on the Emmons we didn't see anyone for like ten days). So I know quite well that it is possible to be alone on Rainier if that is your goal.

I'm putting together a brief report on "crowding" issues on DC and Emmons. If anyone is willing to provide photos (and permission) that might illustrate busy camp conditions, congestion at various points on the route, or other concerns please PM me; I can provide email address. It would be a big help. If anyone has any questions about the study I'd also be happy to respond to a PM.

Thanks,

Mark Husbands

Mark,

Exactly what is the purpose of the study? Forgive me, but if you're looking for pictures of crowding, I remain suspicious of your motives despite your claims to the contrary. If, as they say, 'a picture is worth a thousand words', then your claims that the pictures provided won't be used to call for restrictions are, again, suspect.

If this request is simply for a master's thesis, then forgive me. But if you're working for one of the local or national environmental groups who are constantly looking to impose their interpretation of the solitude provisions of The Wilderness Act, I would encourage folks here to abstain from participation in your project.

Can you give any more info?

It's for a masters's thesis, and part of a study commissioned by the park. I work for a research unit at UW; the study is not supported by any environmental groups, nor is it a tacit attempt to use "solitude" language to support use limits.

You can "encourage" folks to do whatever you like. The pictures are only needed to spice up a progress report for some folks that provided me a grant. The study findings stand on their own with or without the pictures.

The reason I suggested PMs for more info is so that this simple request for photos wouldn't devolve into political spray. The offer still stands for anyone willing to provide some photos, or anyone interested in the study.

Thanks to those folks that have already sent photos.