Shuksan (Sulphide) on skis?

Isabel

I am leading a trip to Shuksan via Sulphide Glacier this coming week-end (16/17) and would like to know if it's still feasible on skis. Anybody been there is week(end)? Are crevasses opening up, and if so, to what extend and where? I expect the snowline to start around 5,000ft--true? Thanks for any pointers!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It snowed lower than 5,000 feet in the last two weeks, so you may find new snow lower than that. It has been very wet lately, so you will almost certainly encounter a lot of deep snow and trailbreaking may be a bit of work! Watch out if the sun comes out, because this stuff will turn to glop at best, and might be dangerous. I haven't seen any current information about crevasses, but I can tell you that the Sulfide is usually not terribly crevassed after the initial 800 feet or so leading to the shoulder sw of the Summit tower (out of desperation, I've even skiied it in September). On the summit rocks, be especially careful because they tend to shed their dressing with even a hint of warming or sunshine.

A good source of information would be the ranger named Kevin, who usually works out of the Mt. Baker ranger station in Glacier (telephone listing is under Maple Falls, Wa.). The Sulfide is not in his "area" but he is more helpful about paying attention to recent climbers' reports and relaying that information than anybody else I've ever dealt with at Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie NF. The staff at Sedro Wooley have, in my experience, usually offered nothing but discouraging and inaccurate information.

Ok...thanks for the feedback. Evidently Kevin no longer works at the Ranger Station in Glacier. The Sedro-Wooley folks, as you indicated, had little positive to say about the Sulphide...lots of fresh snow. Only 3 of a total of 6 permits remain as well.

I skied it about two weeks ago and found it to be a lot of fun. A few uphill sections in sticky snow slowed us down, but for the most part it was good.

I got off Glacier Peak yesterday and the snow level was at about 5000 feet on the trail. I expect it should be the same on Shuksan.

Jason