A new low in rock climbing

Anybody else see this:

http://climbing.com/news/teva2005/

Freestyle bouldering - doesn't this seem to contradict the entire essence of climbing. The way I see it, bouldering is practice for sport climbing, sport climbing is practice for trad climbing, and trad climbing is practice for alpine climbing. Each of these have some net goal of an ascent. Each of these also develop skills that translate across the discipline. What the hell is freestyle dynoing practice for?.....Rock ballet? Impressing 7 yearold girls at the jungle gym?

discuss.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else see this:

The way I see it, bouldering is practice for sport climbing, sport climbing is practice for trad climbing, and trad climbing is practice for alpine climbing.

What is ice climbing practice for... skiing? rolleyes.gif

Anybody else see this:

The way I see it, bouldering is practice for sport climbing, sport climbing is practice for trad climbing, and trad climbing is practice for alpine climbing.

What is ice climbing practice for... skiing? rolleyes.gif

Progression from Ice and Alpine continues to "funkynewagetradmixed" (used to be called simply (pretty damn hard)alpine smile.gif and of course there will be dynos and climbing yoga moves, just like in bouldering, so you see, the circle is complete, the spiral continues, albeit on the "higher" level, so they say... or so we would like to think about it, cynism and sarcasm aside cool.gif

When asked if I am bouldering at all I say that I used to do a lot of it in ... dare to admit 87

when could not find anybody to take my adolescent bones out climbing after seeing a movie of some French star doing the American Crack, fell off - the crack that is, too bad frown.gif my dream route smile.gif

Anybody else see this:

http://climbing.com/news/teva2005/

Freestyle bouldering - doesn't this seem to contradict the entire essence of climbing. The way I see it, bouldering is practice for sport climbing, sport climbing is practice for trad climbing, and trad climbing is practice for alpine climbing. Each of these have some net goal of an ascent. Each of these also develop skills that translate across the discipline. What the hell is freestyle dynoing practice for?.....Rock ballet? Impressing 7 yearold girls at the jungle gym?

discuss.

Who knows, maybe it's...fun? Considering how many of you retrads seem to think slacklining has anything to do with climbing, you've hardly a leg to stand on kvetching about dynoing, regardless of how fruity.

rolleyes.gif

I think this idea got discarded around 1897. However it seems like a great rational for feeding the ego of Cascade "alpinists".

I think this idea got discarded around 1897.

That's only because of the 1890's bolting technology though. wink.gif Sport climbing was more dangerous back then.

I wasn't trying to imply that bouldering/sporting/tradding are anyless important than one another, merely that for me personally most of my aspirations are in trad climbing and alpine climbing, therefor I see bouldering and sport as ways to get in shape (both mentally and physically) when I'm unable to do the others. I sport climb quite a bit and I enjoy it a lot. I also boulder in the gym during the winter. I am not knocking any of these things, just pointing out how I personally view them as benefitting one another. The main point I was trying to make is not about bouldering (which I think hard bouldering is incredible) or even dynoing, which is a lot of fun. The comment was intended to focus on the idea of freestyle dynoing (ie dynoing without the intent of completeing a route). To me this seemed like a lame ass attempt at improving commerciality of climbing to compete with other action sports (skateboarding, BMX, fruitbooting, etc). I guess I just thought it was silly to have a climbing competition whose goal was so completely detached from any form of real climbing.

bouldering is practice for bouldering.

everything else is for people who like to dork out with ropes.

bouldering is practice for "real" climbing.

...dorking out with ropes...that is rich. Is that what all you clan pad handlers come up with when your toting your R.M.H.Ps around..looking for that brilliant FA send up some baby rock, which probably was climbed years before?

Give me and all the "roped-rock climbers" a break. You are a funny man. But thanks for the laughs. hahaha.gif

bouldering is "real" climbing.

"roped-rock climbers" engage in assisted dabbery.

Bouldering "might" be real climbing for some people, but come on you know deep in your adolescent heart that you really want to move on the something bigger, and you probably will.............when you can afford to buy a rope.

Why would you want to climb low angle choss like this,

128661.jpg

if it goes from a sit I might be tempted, otherwise, deconstructed properly, that would make for a fine pile of boulders.

ropes are for water skiers.

kix you are funny. I know the real reason is carrying the bong up the wall is difficult, so you resort to bouldering...everything is within arms reach always. kinda the kiss mentallity...good thinking and really just continue on yer bouldering quest. Less traffic for real climbers to pass. Thanks in advance~!