Squamish Guide Books?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What time do you open on Sat?

For the summer we open at 8AM Saturdays, so you can grab what you need, head for the crag and be topping out your first pitch while other people are still standing around on Broadway waiting for MEC to open cool.gif We open at 9AM every other day of the week. Close at 6PM every day except 5PM on Sundays.

What time do you open on Sat?

For the summer we open at 8AM Saturdays, so you can grab what you need, head for the crag and be topping out your first pitch while other people are still standing around on Broadway waiting for MEC to open cool.gif We open at 9AM every other day of the week. Close at 6PM every day except 5PM on Sundays.

There's an MEC at the top of the Apron now???????????

" . . . We established base salon here, and climbed quite steadily up to Mario's here. From here using crampons and cutting ice steps as we went, we moved steadily up the Lhotse Face to the North Ridge, establishing Camp Three where we could get a hot meal, a manicure, and a shampoo and set." the_finger.gif

Maybe it's good to say that book is 42$ CAD and looks like double in size than last one. Lots of info in. Nice guide book.

(I like the picture of legendary Fred Beckey and other "ordinary" climbers ...)

Edited by Zoran

It sounds like he's comparing amounts of climbing not saying one is at the other.

Actually it just sounds like jibberish, even without the geographical clanger.

Did your thing at Jug Slab make it in?

No, not even in the stop-press at the back. Destined to be mossed over. Time to strip the hangers.

Overall though I am impressed with the guide. It has a few Elaho hallmarks such as route ratings mismatched between the text and the photos, and it's missing a few crag climbs that I can see - but in comparison to the improvement in photo quality and clarity, those are trivial complaints.

I was intrigued by several instances of what appeared to me to be a low-key plea to implement a policy of ongoing selective logging in the Smoke Bluffs to improve the climbing ambiance. Lot's of 'then-and-now' photo comparisons with 'look how bushy it has gotten!!!' type captions throughout.

I was intrigued by several instances of what appeared to me to be a low-key plea to implement a policy of ongoing selective logging in the Smoke Bluffs to improve the climbing ambiance. Lot's of 'then-and-now' photo comparisons with 'look how bushy it has gotten!!!' type captions throughout.

On pg 429 under The Rock is Disappearing he says "In a managed environment where public recreation is a major attraction, the climbing experience is increasingly devalued by loss of opportunity and open ambience. A policy of open space is needed."