ticks!!!

forrest_m

i hate ticks. they're really gross. who cares about incipient drought, the worst thing about the dry winter is the unprecedented onslaught of 8-legged blood sucking lyme disease carriers. i've seen more ticks this year than the last ten combined.

on a side note, i've heard that because of the risk of lyme disease, it is now recommended that if you get one attached to you, you should just yank it out instead of persuading it to pull its head out first. as i understand it, the thinking is that the lyme disease virus mostly lives in the tick's stomach. when disturbed, the tick vomits. therefore, you are (statistically) better off just risking a simple infection when their head pops off under your skin rather than disturbing the tick, letting it vomit under your skin, and risking a life-long illness. anyone have more info on this?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya know, it's funny how many tick sightings I hear about. I have been outside quite a bit (for a slave to working in Seattle), tramped about the brush usually and I have only seen like 6 ticks this year. One large specimen on my friend while chatting in my car about her "almost trip" to the mole, 3 on my parents dog, one tiny one found on leg after approach to some dirt chosspile in the icicle and one crawling on my arm while climbing up some dirt chosspile. I don't think it is any different from any other year. BETA: Check frequently, wear a hat, long pants, and avoid hiking thru brush.

Looks like you got it right Forrest.

From the CDC:

Perform a tick check and remove attached ticks:

The transmission of B. burgdorferi (the bacteria that causes Lyme disease) from an infected tick is unlikely to occur before 36 hours of tick attachment. For this reason, daily checks for ticks and promptly removing any attached tick that you find will help prevent infection. Embedded ticks should be removed using fine-tipped tweezers. DO NOT use petroleum jelly, a hot match, nail polish, or other products. Grasp the tick firmly and as closely to the skin as possible. With a steady motion, pull the tick's body away from the skin. The tick's mouthparts may remain in the skin, but do not be alarmed. The bacteria that cause Lyme disease are contained in the tick's midgut or salivary glands. Cleanse the area with an antiseptic.

Taking preventive antibiotics after a tick bite:

The relative cost-effectiveness of post-exposure treatment of tick bites to avoid Lyme disease in endemic areas (areas where the disease is known to occur regularly) is dependent on the probability of B. burgdorferi infection after a tick bite. In most circumstances, treating persons who only have a tick bite is not recommended. Individuals who are bitten by a deer tick should remove the tick promptly, and may wish to consult with their health care provider. Persons should promptly seek medical attention if they develop any signs and symptoms of early Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, or babesiosis.

i crash around in the brush a fair amount and,in my opinion, there are no more ticks this year than normal. i occasionally hit patches of them (like 10-15 in a short distance) in both brush and forb covered areas. no big deal...just check often. they are less numerous than and don't whine like mosquitos (or you wanks, for that matter). if you get one, ease it out by its head like chuck's post says. if you pull it out by the body you increase the chance of it transmitting anything in its midgut. i've known two people that had them embedded in their scrotums.....that's just poor personal hygiene and lack of attention from the wife.

The sickers may disgust you, but you're unlikely to get Lyme disease if you get them off you.

From the CDC:

2005 Tick Tips from the Centers for Disease Control

What is Lyme Disease?

Lyme disease is caused by bacteria that some people get after being bitten by ticks that are infected with an organism named Borrelia burgdorferi. It was first identified in the 1970s in Lyme, Connecticut.

Where is the organism that causes Lyme disease found?

The organism is maintained in wild rodents, deer, other mammals and certain Ixodes ticks. It is transferred to people by the bite of the infected tick.

Who gets Lyme disease?

People of any age can get Lyme disease. It usually occurs during the summer in people who work or recreate outdoors and thus have a greater chance of coming into contact with infected ticks. Dogs, cats and horses can also get Lyme disease.

How is the organism spread?

The bacteria that cause Lyme disease are spread by ticks. The most common tick involved is the deer tick, or Ixodes scapularis (dammini). Transfer of the Lyme disease bacteria from the infected tick to a person probably does not occur unless the tick has been attached to the body for 36 hours. You cannot get Lyme disease from animals or other people.

Deer and rodents, such as the white-footed mouse, are the most common reservoirs of Lyme disease.

How common is Lyme disease?

About 15,000 cases of Lyme disease are reported each year in the United States. Most of these cases come from Atlantic coast states, from northern Virginia up to Massachusetts.

The incidence of Lyme disease in Loudoun County is about 20 times greater than that of the Virginia average. This is most likely due to:

the preservation of our county’s beautiful rural nature and woodlands

our increasing population, which allows more people to come in contact with ticks

a well trained medical community that appropriately diagnoses early Lyme disease, and

a well educated citizenry that knows to see their doctor if they have an unusual rash or had a deer tick attached to them for more than 36 hours.

Lyme Disease Risk Map

(View enlarged image.)

State or County

Incidence

Connecticut 54.2

Rhode Island 37.5

Loudoun 36.0

New Jersey 16.9

Delaware 14.0

Maryland 6.8

Virginia 2.1

* Incidence is the number of new cases diagnosed each year per 100,000 population.

What are the signs and symptoms of Lyme Disease?

Bull's eye rash

In most people, the first symptom of Lyme disease is a “bulls eye” skin rash called erythema migrans (EM) that forms at the site of the tick bite. This lesion is red and slowly gets bigger, usually with a clearing in the center. About 80% of people infected with Lyme disease will notice this type of rash.

People might also have flu-like symptoms, such as fatigue, fever, headache, stiff neck, muscle or joint pain, possibly lasting several weeks. If the early disease is not treated, weeks to months after the tick bite other problems may develop such as nervous disorders, heart problems, or joint swelling and pain.

How soon after exposure do symptoms appear?

The bulls-eye rash may appear within 3 to 32 days (usually within 1 to 2 weeks) after being bitten by an infected tick.

What is the treatment for Lyme disease?

Antibiotics are very successful in treating early Lyme disease. Treatment of the EM stage usually lasts for 10 to 30 days. Treatment of later stages of disease may take longer.

How can Lyme disease be prevented?

There is currently no Lyme disease vaccine available for people. The best way to prevent getting Lyme disease is to reduce your chances of getting bitten by a tick and making sure that no tick is attached for more than 36 hours. Steps you can take include:

Avoid tick-infested areas, such as tall grasses, whenever feasible.

When this is not possible, wear light-colored clothing with long sleeves and long pants and tuck pants into socks.

Clothes may be pretreated with a tick repellent called permethrin. Other tick repellents are available for treating the skin. Be sure to follow label instructions before using any repellent.

Do a tick check at least once a day. Remove any attached ticks promptly and carefully by gripping the tick with tweezers as close to the skin as possible and using a gentle steady pulling action. Protect hands with gloves, cloth or tissue when removing ticks from people or animals.

What should I do if I think I have Lyme disease?

You should contact your doctor if you have an unusual rash or believe that you have had a deer tick attached to you for more than 36 hours.

Other Tick-borne Diseases

Spring and summer bring warm temperatures, just right for walking in the woods and other outdoor activities. Warm weather also means that ticks become active, and this can lead to the transmission of tick-borne disease. The tick-borne diseases most often found in Virginia are Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and ehrlichiosis.

American Dog Tick

In the Northeast, the "deer" tick (Ixodes dammini) may transmit Lyme disease. The deer tick is quite a bit smaller than the American Dog tick, and usually has a two-toned body with no patterning on the back. In comparison, the deer tick also has larger mouth parts than the dog tick.

and

ldmap.jpg

Yeah, I have found that heating a pair of tweezers/plyers/knives, and then pinch/pulling them out is the most efficient for me. They come out just like butter. Of course, I have never experienced the joy of a woman pulling a tick out with her teeth hahaha.gif Maybe i need to beat around in the bush a bit more often the_finger.gif

Like the above post points out, not all ticks carry Lyme disease. I've only picked up dog ticks out here in the NW and I haven't seen the deer or black-legged ticks that carry the disease.

The problem with Lyme is that the symptoms aren't always obvious, and yet it's important to treat it early. I got it when I was 19, but I was lucky because my symptoms were obvious (Bell's Palsy). A friend of mine went over a year before he was correctly diagnosed. His symptoms were less obvious (joint pain principally). Anyway, because he wasn't diagnosed early, it's hard for the doctors to treat him, and he lives with a lot of pain that probably won't go away anytime soon.

Lyme Desease is primarily transmitted through deer ticks, which are about the size of a freckle. Most of the ticks hikers and climbers encounter are wood ticks (larger) that also can transmit disease but not commonly Lyme.

I have had many ticks over the years (some in awkward locations blush.gif ) and have never gotten one out alive. It's always a mining expedition for all the parts. When I was a kid somebody said put alcohol on it, so I got out the Jack Daniels and that didn't work either but got a smile out of my parents. cantfocus.gif

One thing's for sure- THEY SUCK! hahaha.gif

Edited by matt_warfield

I have just about always just pulled them off and I don't ever remember having one leave it's jaws behind. I just do as suggested, grab ahold of the little sucker and start pulling.

One day last Spring I got 13 ticks at Tieton.

And don't forget to check your dog! They can be tick magnets in some areas. Had to check mine several times a day when I spend some time last summer on the California coast.

There are also a few tick removal tools on the market which can be helpful for removing ticks from heavily-coated dogs.

Wow! I just did a quick check for Lyme disease and saw that it can lead to vertigo, which is what caused my old climbing partner Bob to retire from climbing @ 3-4 years ago after like 25 years. He never found the cause of the vertigo though despite helth care and extensive internet searches.

I'm on it, I'll let you all know the results later when Bob gets back to me.