[TR] City of Rocks and Sawtooths- Many 5/28/2005

goatboy

Climb: City of Rocks and Sawtooths-Many

Date of Climb: 5/28/2005

Trip Report:

Quick TR:

Injured self climbing at Spring Mountain. Drove to Idaho anyway and climbed a little, and took a LOT of pictures. Here are a few:

298DSCN6197-med.JPG298DSCN6247-med.JPG298DSCN6334-med.JPG

298DSCN6338-med.JPG298DSCN6321-med.JPG

More info to come later . . .

Approach Notes:

10 hours from Portland to Stanley, Idaho

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did Intruding Dike on Saturday. It's a fun 30 to 35 foot climb with a walkoff.

I also topped out on Steinfell's Dome for the first time ever....what a view! Sinocranium is 6ish pitches of fun 5.8 slab climbing with a 20 foot vertical headwall thrown in for good measure.

Nice work, Alpinfox! Right you are. It is Intruding Dyke, at City of Rocks.

but it's not a handcrack -- more like #1 Camalot -- kinda tight for me! But similar to outer space in that there are many chickenheads and features in addition to the crack.

And yes, we did hike in towards the Perch -- it's the large granite dome visible on the right side of the mountain landscape shot -- trail was melted out completely, but the perch still had lots of snow up high -- not sure if the route would be wet or not --the area really reminded me a lot of the Washington Pass area, with steep granite and lots of snow -- but it still seemed just a wee bit too early to be there to ensure dry routes -- plus the weather was very unstable as well. A few more weeks, though, and I bet it'll be golden.

I was VERY impressed overall, and not at all surprised that Beckey sniffed this place out a few decades ago . . . .

As for the Finger of Fate, that was our original plan (before my shoulder injury and the unstable weather, plus the snow, all conspired to dash my hopes and dreams . . . . )

I will certainly be back, and am excited to be there again.

Let me know if anyone else has specific questions. Go get it!

Do you have any info on Warbonnet, Finger of Fate, etc?? Of course now I must climb that beautiful, beautiful crack in the photo too.

All topos you seek are in my gallery. If you can't find one (for some unknown reason various random pics of mine get deleted from time to time from my gallery) or want specific beta pm me. I have just about all of them on the perch and finger of fate to name a few.

PS: Finger of fate is better that outer space hahaha.gifrockband.gifboxing_smiley.gifsnugtop.gifthumbs_up.gif

• 9 years later...