Everest Madness

jshamster

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'll get my 2 cents in. Not only has Danielle Fisher been diagnosed with ADD, she most certainly suffers from a sever case of affluenza!

I also went to one of her talks; her climbing knowledge as a whole didn't seem terribly impressive. I also got the impression that while she may be spoiled, she didn't appear to be a spoiled brat - one person in the audience asked if she robbed banks between her climbs.

She seems to be a very pleasant, good natured, and tough young lady despite her privileged status. And how else would someone be able to tick off her list, especially at her age?

But then, we're all quite privileged to be able to participate in the great adventure that climbing offers when most people on this planet have to worry about their next meal.

She had the opportunity and grasped it; that's pretty cool really.

I will start off by saying congrats to Danielle and think it is a great accomplishment to climb and experience those mountains. As having climbed Denali and Aconcagua, I would not take those experiences back for anything in the world and find it awesome that she is putting her energy into something like this. However, I have a real problem with her using ADD as if it were some type of physical deformity or terminal illness. As having been diagnosed with ADD back in highschool, I can say that yes it does have some attention issues, but in no way hinders my climbing. If anything, I focus all the more. I only took meds for less than a year before a friend of mine died from a ritalin overdose. Since then I have learned to deal with it, which was not very hard after a while, (and feel a little like my doctor was blowing ADD way out of proportion)and my grades were never affected. Danielle speaks on her website like she has been diagnosed with some serious disease or serious life-threatening illness (almost like someone told her she was "special" and made excuses for her at an early age)when in reality, it is not that big of a deal - at least like many doctors and the drug companies have made it out to be. Danielle should just stick with climbing for climbing's sake and forget about whatever ailment plagues her. Being blind and summitting E and the other 6 summits is a huge deal, a female 20 year old with ADD is not, but a cool accomplishment that I'd love to experience none the less.

people you are missing the point.

imagine- you go on a sport climb. let's say 13a. you can redpoint 11a max. so you pull on every draw, step on slings and use cheater stick to clip a piece above you. you clip an anchor. and many of you will say- i did a climb. that's bullshit. you did get to the anchor, but you did not do a climb in a style it deserves or is established and common.

it's the same with high altitude climbing. your typical suplementary oxygen lowers the altitude by roghly 1000m. so when the summit of everest is 8848 oxygen makes it into almost sub-8000 climb. hence the masses who didn't pay their alpine dues are able to get to the top. yes they stand on the summit, but not at 8848m. and without fixed ropes and help supplying camps they would do 2 thing jack and shit and jack just left town.

people you are missing the point.

Heh? No I didn't...

Anyway, who says she couldn't do it without support and oxygen? But would she try or even want to?

Personally I couldn't care less how she did it (except I assume she probably didn't pack out her rubbish of bottles and ropes, that's bad style for sure). Nobody is forcing you to respect the achievement, and you are free to teach your children and friends that aiding is bad style.

A climber with ADD - OMFG! That's only, what, 50% of the climbing community?

I'm also saddened. A lot more worthwhile projects for people to donate their time and money to then some brat going on an uber Outward Bound journey.

...but you did not do a climb in a style it deserves or is established and common.

I did not know you were the authoritarian on what "climbing" means.

no i am not. but it is a common opinion of people like Kurtyka or Wielicki. i think they know a bit more about the subject then you and i together wave.gif

describing VK:

Although his climbing resume can be respected and feared by most, he is not interested in the outwardly comparative nature of the sport. His idea of climbing is conceived as an art of life with outstanding values of sport, aesthetics and mysticism. For him, the physical effort is part of a spiritual experience. This is why he chooses his climbing style; it allows him to better experience the mountains, his climbing partner and his inner-self.

This thread has gotten completely off topic!

It's the nature of the beast. Large groups of people of differing opinions engaged in a long discussion invariably digress, whether in cyberspace or face-to-face.

...unless the participants:

are the Borg,

or are cultural automatons,

or have "control issues",

or are looking to make themselves central to the discussion by interjections of reprimand.

I beg you to pardon the thread drift, but I was led to interject. wink.gif

You can come out here if these bozos in Washington won't have you; in Mini-soda you can train for your next big slog... ME!
Since you're a staunch disciplinarian just remember, she has ADD (no, that's not math skills) so you'll probably need to hit her with a rolled-up newspaper five times for her to remember two.