Dirtbag no more

layton

My website store www.cafepress.com/alpinist will no longer offer any items with the word "Dirtbag" on it, which includes the picture of the little stickmen dumpster diving at trader joes for bagels. cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Why? Douglass Canning of Dirtbag Clothing (dirtbagclothing.com) copyrighted the word dirtbag and made my supplier dump that image in case of litigation. His sales must be skyrocketing with me out of the way. boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike,

I believe they are full of it.

They cannot lay claim on saying that has been around for years. All you are doing is using the saying.

I think a way around it would be just to put "dirtbag" in Quotes. Of coarse THEY would tell you otherwise, but people have been saying this since the 70's, or earlier.

I'm going to copyright the word "it" so noone can use it on any sellable items.

Any lawyers out there who could fill us in?

My website store www.cafepress.com/alpinist will no longer offer any items with the word "Dirtbag" on it, which includes the picture of the little stickmen dumpster diving at trader joes for bagels. cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Why? Douglass Canning of Dirtbag Clothing (dirtbagclothing.com) copyrighted the word dirtbag and made my supplier dump that image in case of litigation. His sales must be skyrocketing with me out of the way. boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Just be thankful you didn't run up against AmazingCo, Inc. and our crack team of vicious legal pitbulls. You'd be lucky if you could even move your broken fingers after a bout with that shit, never mind having the luxury of whining on some internet message board. Last sorry bastard that thought he could get away with cavalierly commandeering the heavily copywrit/trademarked/patented-to-shit "Inc." in the name of his half-assed excuse for a second-grade-lemonade-stand little business enterprise? Let's just say the AmazingCo Legal Bureau gave Freddie Free-enterprise a little something in common with Jacques Cousteau, and returning to the surface of the ocean wasn't it, you dig?

Hey Mike,

I believe they are full of it.

They cannot lay claim on saying that has been around for years. ...

Unfortunately, they can - courtesy of the ignoramuses (ignorami?) at the Trademark/Copyright offices these days.

I *believe* that Layton's friends probably "trademarked" the term. Don't think they would've been awarded a copyright because of "prior use/art" but I'm sure the lawyers out there will correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way - Mike's up a creek because his shop/webstore provider doesn't want the legal hassle. I'm guessing he could continue to sell the offending clothing, but then he'd probably risk getting his whole store yanked.

It cracks me up though when business owners such as Mr. Canning spend so much time "protecting" their "intellectual property" instead of using that time to do something positive like finding more markets, developing new product, blah blah blah. Granted - if some big distributor grabbed the name, then by all means, go for it - you're toast if they're allowed to continue. But Layton? Yup... Mr. Canning must really be livin' it up good now that Mike's out of the picture!

-kurt

KNELSON - you hit the nail on the head. VERY well put.

Marie - you are completely kick ass for buying, wearing, and advertising my shirts! thank you. i owe ya a drink too!

Billcoe, i'm not sure what you're doing wrong. maybe scroll down or something. there should be a "view larger image" button. i have sooo many people telling me they can't read the images, cafeshops should fix that problem.

entire world population - please buy just one sticker each and set me up for life.

All my "Got Milf?" clothing is also gone forever. same deal.

Some of you cc.commer long-timers might remember that as my autosig...i believe i was the 1st to use that term of anyone in the universe...started using it in 2000. fucking people on this earth just suck my ass

if you'd bought all your own items, you could be selling them for a profit on ebay now.

Nope. He'd be stuck with a hundred cases of t-shirts that he'd be whining to all of us to buy. THE Mr. Dirtbag would've pulled the same legal BS with eBay.

Oh... and OffWhite - I've trademarked the term "Cease and Desist®" so please do not use that term. I'm nice, so I'll give you a break, but next time my lawyer Guido will be contacting you. wave.gifEdited: Oops - the OffWhite reference was to a different thread I guess. Oh well... you've been notified either way!

-kurt

Edited by knelson