Friday music thread.

bunglehead

I know, boring, but here goes.

What have y'all been listening to lately?

Some recent acqusitions:

Buck Sixty Five. Cool, but weird.

Masta Ace: Disposable Arts. If you like the Hip Hop, this is awesome.

Gang Starr: "Moment of Truth" Ibid.

The Blue Van. I don't know the name of the record, but: "meh."

The Zutons: "Who Killed the Zutons?" Stay away. Very catchy and annoying. I can't stop listening to it!!

Wes Montgomery: "So Much Guitar" Most excellent.

Dexter Gordon: "GO!" What can I say about this one?

James Blood Ulmer: "Tales of a Black Soldier" Sweeet.

Soo....who's got the new tunes they can't stop listening to?? confused.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 5 singles from this week (none are "new"), not in any particular rank. Complete with notes since I know you all care.

1. Panic, by the Smiths. Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ! Why is it that the Smiths had 4 or 5 really incredibly good songs amid so very much boring dreck?

2. Ghetto Defendant, by the Clash. I think teaming up with Allan Ginsberg was an inspired idea, even though it doesn't really work. It's kind of like there's two songs going on at once. But nevertheless it does rock.

3. Always True to You in my Fashion, by Peggy Lee with George Shearing. George Shearing's latin-inflected piano accompaniment makes this the best version of this Cole Porter tune I've heard.

4. Goodbye to You, by Scandal. I can't believe I never heard this 80s top-40 song until I was driving back from Eastern OR last Monday. Made me nostalgic for tough girl singers like Debbie Harry and Pat Benatar.

5. Smoking Cigarettes and Drinking Coffee Blues, by Lefty Frizzell. I heard Sleepy LaBeef do this song in concert about 10 years ago, and it's always stuck with me, even though I'd never heard Lefty Frizzell's original. Finally got it last week and it's almost as good as my memory of Sleepy doing it live.

A friend of mine just turned me on to Probot, and it's fucking killer. It's getting maximum rotation on my playlist this week (and it kept us wide-awake in the car coming back from Rainier last weekend).

SNN30M.jpg

Apparently it's Dave Grohl's homage to the metal bands of his youth. He wrote and played the (killer) tunage and the singers wrote and peformed the lyrics. Each song is an attempt to sound like the singer's original band. It works really well for me.

Some of the bands represented are D.R.I., C.O.C, Venom, Celtic Frost, Motorhead, Sepultera, and King Diamond. There are some others, but those are the bands represented on the album that I grew up with.

I give it four bloody skulls (out of five). You'd do right by yourself to check it out, if you're at all into hard rock.

- a s s m rockband.gif n k e y

School's Out For the Summer, by Alice Cooper

Well we got no choice all the girls and boys

Makin' all that noise 'cause they found new toys

Well we can't salute ya can't find a flag if that don't suit ya that's a drag

School's out for summer .... school's out forever ... school's been blown to pieces

No more pencils no more books no more teacher's dirty looks yeah

Well we got no class and we got no principals and we got no innocence

We can't even think of a word that rhymes

School's out for summer ... school's out forever ... my school's been blown to pieces

No more pencils no more books no more teacher's dirty looks

Out for summer out till fall we might not come back at all

School's out forever ... school's out for summer ... School's out with fever ... school's out completely

rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

(i wasn't in school this spring... but somehow that song just fits for any Friday, any time of year... ) hahaha.gif

Talking Heads, Fear of Music. Wow, it sounds as good as the first time I heard it. Forgot about that incredible guitar work by R. Fripp on the first track.

Also, I second Ireneo on Ghetto Defendant and a lot of other less-noticed Clash songs.

Also If I were a Carpenter, a Carpenters tribute album. Sonic Youth's version of "Superstar" rocks the hizzouse.

Edited by marylou